Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2001, 02:38 PM   #91
Vicotnik
Zhentarim Guard

I agree with Moiraine, but when discussing politics some people tend to get a bit agitated and say things that can be interpreted the wrong way depending on your cultural backround. Let's just hope that doesn't happen here.

------------------
Vicotnik, archmage of the Holy Flame - Challenge me... and die.
Old 03-11-2001, 02:50 PM   #92
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Many thanks for the translation, Donut!

Vicotnik: Amen!

------------------
Storm-Queen
Purple Rose of the Black Knight
Old 03-11-2001, 02:56 PM   #93
Moiraine
Anubis

Yes Vicotnik, I hope that people posting here (I mean in this thread or other political threads, or threads about religions, or other 'touchy' stuff) will all keep strongly in mind cultural differences, both when they read a post, and when they voice an opinion. I didn't post much, partly also because I happen to be, alas, the only Frenchie on this Board, and I don't want you people starting thinking "All French think that ..." from what I say. Also, having Latin roots, I usually discuss politics with French people with much heat, in fact hot politics discussions are kind of a tradition in my family, but I will never do that here !
But I say again that I have found what Americans here had to say very interesting. Take Clinton, for example. Not knowing any American personnally, I had always wondered why the fact that he had cheated on his wife was considered so important for them. The post written by BK has given me a very interesting point of view, saying that the fact that he had cheated on his wife made him think that he was able to lie to everybody else, that that made him a man who could not be trusted. I think I can say rather safely that most French people have a more cynical view of politics : we think that one cannot succeed in becoming an important politic personnality without having lied and cheated. So when we learn that our President has cheated on his wife, we think that at least he has proven human in one part of his life, that it proves that he has not sacrificed all his life to the race for power. I know that this point of view is shared by many French people.
Anyway, I have been very careful of the phrasing of my answer to BK, but even then, I hope I haven't piss him off, have I ?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moiraine (edited 03-11-2001).]
Old 03-11-2001, 03:01 PM   #94
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Yes Vicotnik, I hope that people posting here (I mean in this thread or other political threads, or threads about religions, or other 'touchy' stuff) will all keep strongly in mind cultural differences, both when they read a post, and when they voice an opinion. I didn't post much, partly also because I happen to be, alas, the only Frenchie on this Board, and I don't want you people starting thinking "All French think that ..." from what I say. Also, having Latin roots, I usually discuss politics with French people with much heat, in fact hot politics discussions are kind of a tradition in my family, but I will never do that here !
But I say again that I have found what Americans here had to say very interesting. Take Clinton, for example. Not knowing any American personnally, I had always wondered why the fact that he had cheated on his wife was considered so important for them. The post written by BK has given me a very interesting point of view, saying that the fact that he had cheated on his wife made him think that he was able to lie to everybody else, that that made him a man who could not be trusted. I think I can say rather safely that most French people have a more cynical view of politics : we think that one cannot succeed in becoming an important politic personnality without having lied and cheated. So when we learn that our President has cheated on his wife, we think that at least he has proven human in one part of his life, that it proves that he has not sacrificed all his life to the race for power. I know that this point of view is shared by many French people.
Anyway, I have been very careful of the phrasing of my answer to BK, but even then, I hope I haven't piss him off, have I ?

To show the slight difference to what we are talking about, most of the foreign (compared from America) diplomats that are caught in compromising positions at least admit to them, though, do they not? I may be seeing this from a certain amount of propoganda, but we had a special about this very topic about a year ago, and it was stated that extra-marital affairs are somewhat the norm for the other nations of the world. Right or Wrong, cultural difference in my opinion. But as to of the consequences, at least the foreign officials tended to hold themselves with dignity and admit to the affairs. Some were even rather bold about it. To me, that is the difference that Clinton failed to see.

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 03-11-2001, 03:56 PM   #95
JJ/newbie

Glad to see the participation here. I certainly have no wish to turn the board into a political discussion, but as yorick stated so well and, uhmm, "delicately" - LOLOL, BK - it is an integral part of all our lives. From some of the comments abroad, I am not at all suprised to see that some of the information posted by myself was not even reported on. Again, the press sets themselves up as the arbiters of what THEY think we should know, and what to think about it. Not saying it is a world-wide conspiracy, either, please do not misunderstand. When the overwhelming majority of those responsible for telling the rest of us what is going on feel a certain way about something, there is an unconcious presentation in that direction - simple fact of human nature. Gotta run Amanda to a birthday party for a friend, but like MacArthur said, "I shall return" heh heh heh

------------------
When given a choice, take both.

Old 03-11-2001, 09:57 PM   #96
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I shall be here when you return JJ.

------------------
FAIR DINKUM!
Old 03-11-2001, 10:26 PM   #97
JJ/newbie

Well met, good bard

------------------

Old 03-11-2001, 11:05 PM   #98
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ/newbie:
Well met, good bard

Indeed JJ. How goeth thou? Disturbing some of those facts you raise are. Worried I am for Donut also. Fear not. As the English prevailed in Sri Lanka so shall they (not) at Lords.

(Rubs hands in gleeful expectation)

Hey when exactly IS the Lords Test Do? I wonder where I'll be.....

------------------
FAIR DINKUM!
Old 03-11-2001, 11:13 PM   #99
JJ/newbie

Hi Yorick, hope the travels have been good. I need to update myself on where and what you've been.
Please expand on your comments earlier, so I might reply intelligently. [some would say that is impossible under any circumstances anyway ]
Besides helping to free Kuwait from saddam hussein and getting sick on the prime minister of japan, I am not sure what else bush sr. did overseas.
Bush W. - people want to ignore the fact that he has 4 years of dealing with mexico, and taking the brunt of the illegal immigration and drugs that pour into our country from there. - Much more 'foreign relations' experience than clinton, all he did before being president was hide at Oxford University to avoid military service and not inhale when he smoked pot. oops, was that another 'pot' shot at clinton? heh heh heh

------------------

Old 03-11-2001, 11:20 PM   #100
JJ/newbie

the Lords Test? explicate on my poor ignorant brain, please? duh duh duh

------------------