Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2002, 12:47 PM   #1
arbitanx
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm trying to get one of my friends interested in BG2, because he really doesn't see what's so great about it. the problem is, we played through the 1st chapter recently and he hated it (the first chapter is very dull and lifeless compared to the other so maybe all is not lost). anyone got any suggestions to introduce someone to the game?
arbitanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 02:41 PM   #2
PeeWee
Manshoon

Howday and welcome to IW,

First more information about your friend is needed. Has he ever played RPG's before and liked them? Which ones? Does he like AD&D games any? Does he spend hours on the computer playing any games? Sometimes you can't convert someone overnight. It's an innate thing that draws our amusement to stuff like this. Some ppl just don't have the patience nor want to play something - especially an RPG.

I've tried converting some of my CS (counterstike) friends to no avail. I do have friends that were amused about playing magic the gathering. I never would have thought they would play that game but they just weren't aware of it. This shows me that the ones who do catch on and are willing have that same interest as I do. The ones who are exposed to it and don't show any interest lose my time and drive my own patience.

Sometimes a person just needs enough free time with nothing to do. During some of this free time for me way back, I had old cards, comics, console games, and a bunch of other stuff lying around. Playing old RPG's that are simpler helps to get over some frustrations about leveling up and the system.

The BGII first dungeon is dull but it does provide for beginner learning. If he's into flair and dynomite action, then just hit a dragon lair and let em try it. If he isn't impressed at how fast he died or at the graphics, then I don't know what else would spark an interest in the game for em. Also, don't let em stare at the paperdolls for too long [img]smile.gif[/img] .

If you can LAN play, ask em what would be one of his favorite characters to try out. Let em play it and you play something to compliment that class. If he's a warrior, pick a priest to buff em up with and let em try doing most of the work. If he likes magic, pick a warrior to back em up if he gets too much aggro.

I too don't think all hope is lost. There are work-arounds but it's mostly on "their" time.
Old 02-24-2002, 06:07 PM   #3
arbitanx
Elite Waterdeep Guard

although the first dungeon is a bit dull, i do realise it's importance if you didn't play the first game as far as introducing the various elements of the control system and interface. the problem is, it's no very good for showing off the game to your mates.

the friend who i'm trying to get interested in the game likes rpgs, but the cinematic shenmue variety which is a very different game to baldur's gate.

i don't think whether he is into ad&d is an issue because although i was vaguely interested in ad&d before buying he game, a lot my other friends got into the game without prior interest.

i will try showing some big dragon fights or something, but i really don't think BG2 is amazingly impressive to watch. the interest comes in caring about your party and characters and their importance in the story.
arbitanx is offline   Reply With Quote