Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2004, 04:52 PM   #1
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I'm in the south east wilderness, walking up the path to the temple. However, when I try to round a corner the game dumps me back to the desktop (much like in morrowind, except it does it every time I try, it's not random). I happen to have a save just before the corner, and it doesn't happen when I walk the other direction, and it isn't based on when I go round the corner because I've waited then tried. I have the patch. Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2004, 07:40 PM   #2
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

never heard of that...Maybe there's a monster up there that's just TOOO terrible to load...
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:19 PM   #3
SecretMaster
Apophis

When in doubt, go to the official wizadry8 tech help forum. http://www.wizardry8.com/index2.html next, click on the link for technical support help forum
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 10:13 AM   #4
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Try the following: Enter combat mode, get some ball spells ready, and the walk around the corner in combat mode. If there is a group of savants, attack them.

Why? It once happened to me that the orb was accidently killed in a neutral savant group. When i walk near them outside combat, the game crashed, probably because the non-existing orb tried to talk to me.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 04:14 PM   #5
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Yes, I think it was because of some savants - I encountered a group of berserkers and drones and one retreated around the corner because we blinded him. Then everytime we rounded the corner and saw him, the game crashed. I tried approaching him in combat mode but whenever we stopped walking it still crashed. Fortunately the problem was solved, I had a save that was quite a long way back and redid the area, making sure not to blind anyone and kill them all in the one go. We got round the corner with no problems.

However, I then experienced the most soul destroying moment - I reached the temple, and we were fighting for our lives against the sorceress and her chums. It was one of those wonderful battles where you change tactics several times, have to retreat and regroup but come back stronger, use all our instruments and experiment with spells never used before. We had just turned the corner - the sorceress queen and both death lords were dead, four of the six cultists were paralyzed and blocking the passage so the 8 elementals they had summoned couldn't get through, and it was just going to be a matter of finishing them off... and I got a blue screen error. I think it was just one of those errors, not one that will happen every time we get to that stage like the crashing error going round the corner, but omg I could have cried. When battles take as long as they do, and you've finally got the upper hand, it can be hard to go back and do it again [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2004, 08:11 AM   #6
Slag
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had androids crash me out here once, neutral androids had run during a combat with other creatures, and after the fight when I tried to round the corner (after a quicksave) I'd crash to desktop as soon as I saw one of the 'droids. I had run back up the hill and camp so they'd move along.
Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 10:15 AM   #7
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

I've had this same problem a few times in Upper Martens Bluff (Specters). You are fighting a group or two and some move out of sight. When you move to fight them the game crashes. I avoid this at MB by moving to keep the rest of them in sight as long as they show up on the "banner" enemy description. I think I saw it once at the Temple, too. Sometimes you can actual see the enemy but they don't show up on the text banner. Don't fight them! Wait til battle ends and they will re-engage.

It doesn't happen often but is very annoying as you have to rebattle.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:20 AM   #8
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
I tried approaching him in combat mode but whenever we stopped walking it still crashed.
I wrote 'get some ball spells ready'.
When he is blinded (or too far away), combat ends with your movement, if you just move. But if you just moved a bit, and then hit him with a spell, the combat should continue, thus avoiding the crash.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote