Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2004, 11:56 PM   #1
skuld
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well I started a Kensai after being inspired to do so buy a piece of artwork I transformed into a portrait. And this being my first time as a Kensai, I thought he was gonna suck, but the whole idea of killing him before he kills you as opposed to being able to take a beating while you're slowly wearing him down really works. Well my character is a LN Kensai who is a veteran samurai. He was discharged from the military after having discovered some information that could have lead to his superiors being arrested. He has since been stripped of his military issue armour wandering with his sword as his only companion. Up until now of course. I'm basically wondering which NPCs personalities would go good with such a character, the class doesn't matter so much because that can be modified later. As of now I have Jaheira and Yoshimo. Jahs I'm thinking of turning into an Avenger, and Yoshimo I think might get dualed to a Fighter(bow specialty), now that covers melee, ranged, thievery, healing, and pest spells. My big question is do I really need anything more? Like, is arcane magic really that necessary? I'm only asking because I've never played without it. And what do I do when Yoshimo is gone? I hear something happens to him after your return from spellhold and such so I don't wanna be stuck with Imoen as a ranged weapon user. Any ideas on what to do. And if I should make the suggested changes to my existing party? ie: Jaheira-> avenger and yoshimo->dual to fighter(but at what level? thanks a lot

and here's the picture upon which the character is based

I also would like to know if there's a better paper doll out there for a kesnai than the traditional fighter one.

[ 06-06-2004, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: skuld ]
skuld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:38 AM   #2
Nerull
Lord Ao

Cool picture, and cool concept. It really helps draw you into the game when you come up with a backstory for your character.

However, I have to ask, how many times have you played and/or finished the game? That is important, as a kensai is not the easiest character to finish the game with. Also, do you have the expansion (Throne of Bhaal)? That also influences your choice of NPCs. Finally, as a part of character concept, does he now despise the military types (knights, etc.)?

I would say you need at least one person who is tank material. A kensai is best as a "flanker"; let someone else distract the enemy, while the kensai moves in and dishes out the punishment. Once you get the right equipment, Jaheira can fill this function, but it wouldn't hurt to get a "big beefy" up front.

Also, I would highly recommend a mage of some kind, especially if you have Throne of Bhaal (will refer to it as ToB after this). ToB is very difficult, and thus makes it all the more attractive to have both a solid tank and a solid mage. Imoen is solid as a mage, can do the thieving you need (especially if you install the Baldurdash fixpatch, which adds some thieving points she missed from hitting 7th level as a thief), and really doesn't lag that much behind Yoshimo as an archer. Besides, wouldn't it be the honorable thing, to rescue one's childhood friend that was arrested just for defending herself? Even if you don't want her, there are substitutes out there (i.e. ones that can do mage and thief activities). And yes, you have been spoiled already that Yoshimo leaves eventually, but you really should play it out at least once; it is good story material.

However, beyond that, I really can't recommend too much until I hear more details as I listed above. Oh, and you can use Shadowkeeper to change the paperdoll, I do believe. Maybe a monk one would be more appropriate?
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:07 AM   #3
skuld
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well my first run through was with a motley crew of a CG Elf Fighter/Thief, Haer'Dails, Edwin, and Viconia, and it was basically a cakewalk for the most part. To be honest that was my only complete runthrough because ever since then I've done plenty of solo attempts which usually get abandoned before spellhold because they don't pan out the way I wanted, but my Berserker/Mage was another one that I was inspired to make from a picture, and that one I took through he underdark until the game became too easy. It consisted of Stoneskin, fireshield:red, Mirror Image, berserk, sunfire, cleanup and for advanced battles a little more tact, but that was basically it. I've done countless attempts with small parties, most of which were abandoned due to wanting to try something new constantly, and never saving my save games when it comes time to reformat(which I do periodically). So I would say that if I wanted a particular item early on in the game I would know where to look, and I know how to get through some of the tougher battles. But as to NPC's I only have used a few because in most cases they have an over the top personality which in most cases (excluding Jan) is annoying. So what I want is what NPC's would go well with this type of character firstly personality wise, and secondly classwise. Also when would be a good time to dual a thief to a fighter and are avengers any good and how do you think jaheira would do as one?

EDIT: How do you think I planned on changing jaheira to an avenger? SK. And I know how to change paper dolls, but are there any in existence which would actually do a kensai any justice? Oh, BTW I think the Monk is the worst looking of ant of the paper dolls. And no I don't have TOB.

[ 06-06-2004, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: skuld ]
Old 06-06-2004, 07:44 AM   #4
mad=dog

Changing the paper doll (or generating custom ones, which is basically what you ask) is more complicated than your would think. They are not rendered, but consist of series of sprites - literally hundreds - which must all be accounted for. You wearing this helmet and that sword and so forth. I don't think anyone has ever found it worthwhile to commit so much work into something of marginal interest, but I am frequently surprised at how much work fans put into details. You might be lucky.
When you discard parties that often you should consider playing a bit before you sacrifice too much work. Play with the party for a day or two and if you like it then you could start to customize én masse. You may wind up pouring a lot of work into a party you wind up discarding.
Remember to lower Jaheira's attribute scores accordingly when you change her to Avenger.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:39 AM   #5
skuld
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I don't want to make a custom paper doll, because it's too much work that I really don't know how to do nor do I want to take the time. I just want to know which paper doll(that's already in existence) would do my character justice. I don't think it's that complicated of a question. Also would it be worth changing Jaheira to an Avenger it kinda goes with her soundset a little better, and I think and Avenger would go well with my character. And also the when to dual yoshimo to a thief question still stands, as well as what to do when he is gone.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:41 PM   #6
drew_jarvie
Zhentarim Guard

Firstly, unless you want to use shadowkeeper, you cannot make jaheria into an avenger.

Secondly, you cannot "dual Yoshimo into a thief" because he is already a Bounty Hunter Thief Kit.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:11 PM   #7
skuld
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well I've since decided to drop jaheira, and pick up Silverstar(make her a fighter/thief), and Cernd(make him an Avenger). And I've also discovered that the Elf Mage paper doll suites my needs quite well. And I meant to dual Yoshimo to a fighter. Wow I need to start proofreading these things. But thanks for the input anyway.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:25 PM   #8
Megachihuahua
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think Jan would be good for your party, but I'm crazy, and Imoen will be gone for so much of the game.
Megachihuahua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:19 PM   #9
skuld
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Jan will NOT go well, and I use him too much anyway.