Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2003, 01:37 AM   #21
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

anecdote: The very first CRPG I tried was the demo of BG2, which was the entire irenicus-dungeon section. Tried it, after a few hours, couldn't stand it!!!. Boring, complicated, and difficult! Quit. After a few days tried it again because I didn't have anything else to play. This time I decided to forge through, and finally finished the dungeon. My sis was watching too and we were getting VERY interested near the end. Wondered whether to buy the full version or not, since EVERYONE was saying "game of the year" as well as "over 300 hrs gameplay". Finally did pay the 49 dollars for it. Got thru the dungeon, much smoother this time, now I'm getting the hang of how to play, how to use spells... Then I wandered around Waukeen's Promenade for a few hours, and while I was doing this I GOT ADDICTED suddenly. That was about March 2001 and I haven't really stopped playing since.

This is an uncommon case where my first impressions were obviously not reliable. Every game should be given a fighting chance. I gave Diablo2-demo, Morrowind and NeverWinterNights (single-player) a fair chance, I think - I played each for about a month before I decided they really weren't for me. But still I'm thinking of trying NWN again - looks like one never knows for sure how much they don't like things.

Grendal, I don't know how long you were doing SoA, but I'd say if you didn't like it after playing it for, say, a few weeks, then the AD&D-style of game is probably just not your type of game? Which is cool - then again, I was a semi-hardcore FPS deathmatch player only, until I got hooked on BG2, so your tastes could very well change.

NOW I'm thinking of getting BG1/TotSC as well to complete the "set". [I have ToB as well, but for some reason I don't like it as much, maybe the setting of the game is not as expansive as SoA, maybe because everyone's so high-level that I never used any low level spells/abilities anymore... The only spells I used were Project Image, Dragon's Breath, Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, and Death Fog, over and over again (well, it worked, didn't it?)]
Old 06-26-2003, 02:08 AM   #22
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Indeed. Throne of Bhaal was a horrible ending to the BG series. I would have been satisified with the end of SoA, and keeping it as is.

BTW, the openness of BG1 left me a little distraught, but TotSC makes it quite interesting. I'd say, if you're going to get BG1, go ahead and get the expansion. The best part of the entire BG saga is Durlag's Tower, at least in my opinion.

[ 06-26-2003, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: Nanobyte ]
Old 06-26-2003, 03:04 AM   #23
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Too much hach`n` slash in ToB for my taste. But it is still good.