Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #1
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Default new game - new party

after getting bored with my solo anti-paladin carving her way through everyone and evrything i've started a new game

the basic idea is one that i've had for a while - playing-wise it's a vaguely military unit/squad idea ("incoming!", "medic!" if you see what i mean . . ) as follows:

dwarf berserker
dwarf fighter/cleric
halfling generic archer
halfling fighter/thief

other variations for this party that i've had in my head before include a gnome of some sort in there to provide arcane magic (i decided against) and to make the kit archer a dwarf crossbow expert as i usually neglect crossbows - i thought 4 characters was probably the limit that i could cope with managing though - i've also considered making them all dwarf but i've had a few issues telling them apart as it it so probably best that i didn't

it's early days but quite fun so far

EDIT: reading that back i might create and add an arcane casting 'deep' gnome character later in the game - assuming i get that far

Last edited by Armen; 03-06-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion
Default Re: new game - new party

Are you using the halfling fighter/thief as a scout? A ranger might work well in that role for scouting/skirmishing. I like the crossbow expert idea, thats always something I've considered by never tried. Which crossbow would you use?
Old 03-08-2009, 04:59 AM   #3
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

> Are you using the halfling fighter/thief as a scout?

not yet, but i will (stealth/sniper/backstab) - he hasn't got the stealth at the moment so he's crossbow archer and utility thief for now

> A ranger might work well in that role

yeh - i've thought since i should have made the generic archer character a ranger archer instead (with SK) but i'm happy with what i've got now

> I like the crossbow expert idea, . . . Which crossbow would you use?

i haven't really gone for it this time either as my kit archer is using short bows - my F/T is using light crossbow of speed for early aaccesibility and APR - i guess when he's full of GWWs it'll be worth getting something that packs a bigger punch - i know next to nothing about crossbows actually, i'll have to find out
Old 03-19-2009, 05:18 AM   #4
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

been busy so haven't been doing much recently

one nice surprise was how easily a strong, well set up party like this can take down spirit trolls - really quite easily even at level 9 (i usually solo and struggle with them a bit early on) which has been a useful source of experience so far - i've quite enjoyed the 'squad combat' aspect of this so far