Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2002, 04:26 AM   #1
Gedd
The Magister

Cant believe how hastily written the manual is! quite a lot omitted (or at least difficult to find).
Wasn't sure if the combat modifiers are the same as the BG series. Can someone clarify how dexterity and strength modify the attack and dammage rolls for melee and ranged weapons?
i suspect it is
melee - to hit +strength mod, to dammage +stre mod
ranged - to hit +dex mod, to dammage +stre mod??

thanx in anticipation..
Gedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 01:40 PM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

the number to the right of your strength/dex score is your modifier, both to hit/damage (yes it's the same bonus now) and for any abilities that use that ability, say you have a 16 dex (+3 mod I think) then with a bow you would receive a bonus of +3 to hit, if you have a 17 strength (+3 still) you get get +3 to hit and +3 to damage with your weapon, unless you're using a light weapon and have weapon expertise (in which case you use your dex bonus instead)

Ranged weapons don't use the strength mod for damage unless you have a composite bow (long or short) and I think hurlded misile weapons (throwing axes, shuriken etc.) use str for damage bonus
Old 07-23-2002, 05:15 PM   #3
AndyG
Elminster

Remember that the manual isn't designed to teach you all the rules of D&D. There are other books available for purchase, as well as loads of web sites, and a lot of in game help. All the manual does is teach you to play the game, and give you an overview of the rules of D&D.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 08:55 AM   #4
DraconisRex

Wow, harsh criticism.

For the casual "non-DnD" gamer, everything they need to know is there. For the long-time DnD players, everything we need to know is there, as well.

I've only had to pull out 3E rules to make sure there were some minor game-balance modifications to the 3E core rules in some of the classes.

And compared to the manual that came with Dungeon Siege or Morrowind, it's an encyclopedia.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 09:44 AM   #5
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

yup, Bioware has a good history with instruction manuals (the tome we got for Icewind Dale, and BG2, BG1 was slightly less, but had everything you needed, along with the books for the expansions) granted the hardest thing for me to find was the definition of "keen" since I don't own 3ed stuff, but if you root around for a while you can find it (I found it under the definition for improved critical)
Old 07-24-2002, 12:17 PM   #6
Lord Shield

stats are like thi:

10-11 +0
12-13 +1
14-15 +2
16-17 +3
18-19 +4

etc....

Strengtgh adds to atack/damage in melee
Dex does same for ranged
Old 04-14-2003, 11:09 AM   #7
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

If I buy a boxed PC game for $100+, I expect it to be fully documented. That means, if a weapon has a rule "mighty", I expect to be able to find out what the hell that means by reading the manual. Ive never played PnP D&D, and I dont think it should be a requirement of buying the game. They change half the rules to fit the PC adaptation anyway so nothing should be assumed.

I think they've definately dropped the ball on this one, especially considering the standard we've come to expect from the BG & IWD documentation

.... oh.. wait, what am I saying ? the BG 2 manual is FULL of things that were never implemented in the game... lol
oh well, what can you do ?
Old 04-14-2003, 11:15 AM   #8
Raistlin Majere
Ra

But of course we have to remember that Black Isle was NOT a producer of NWN, so we cant expect quite the same level of class.(heh heh)

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote