Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2003, 06:47 PM   #1
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Whenever I start my computer I can hear it making this sound " bzzzt bzzzt bzzzzt " like electric static or something like that. Because of that I can never log into internet because it disrupt the modem dialing. Anybody knows what is going on?

ps. If I buy a powersurge will it stop the problem?
Old 09-11-2003, 06:58 PM   #2
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
Whenever I start my computer I can hear it making this sound " bzzzt bzzzt bzzzzt " like electric static or something like that. Because of that I can never log into internet because it disrupt the modem dialing. Anybody knows what is going on?

ps. If I buy a powersurge will it stop the problem?
If you hear electrical sparks, you've got a short in one of the components. Most likely the power supply or a fan motor. Another possibility is that one of the cooling fans fins have come into contact with a hot wire and worn away the insulation. If the bare wire comes too close to a good ground, it will short and spark. The modem could be doing it, but I don't think a modem carries the kind of power to cause sparks. The modem is also directly connected to the main board and would probably fry it. Bare sparks do cause a lot of electrical interference. At any rate, DO NOT RUN THE PC until this problem is fixed. A short can turn into a destroyed computer if it gets the right parts. In the worst instance, it can start a fire and burn the house down. Sparking shorts are easy to find. Just open the PC and follow your nose. The area should smell burnt or of ozone.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:27 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

A surge protector will not stop the problem, most likely. It's probably electrical interference, as Sir Kenyth said.

I would also open it up and look for wires near something that's supposed to move, as well as loose connections. I'd also check for dust buildup, and clean it out if possible. Dust contains dead dust mites and such, and can carry an electric charge because of them. So getting rid of the dust is a simple starting point that can sometimes clear up just about everything. At least for a while...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:31 PM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
I know your gonna laugh when you read this, but they actually make canned air for the purpose of safely dusting the interior of the computer.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 09-12-2003, 12:03 AM   #5
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

If you smell burning computer parts cut it off and unplug it.

I doubt that is your problem. If you can not use your modem how did you get here to post? (This is not a joke. I am trying to figure out how bad the problem is.)

Does it happen all the time or just every now amd then?

Do you feel OK about opening up your computer and working on it? Have you ever done that before? If no do you have a friend that does and can help?

If you feel OK about it remove or unplug everything from your computer but the motherboard, ram and cpu. Power it up. Does it still make the sound? If yes post back here.

If no. Power down add in the hard drive. Power up. Does it still make the sound? If yes post back here.

If no. Power down add in the modem. Power up. Does it still make the sound? Can you dial out? If yes post back here.

Try adding in each other peice until the sound comes back. If you feel OK with it open your computer case and power up and see if you can track down where the sound is coming from. Again if you have not done this before and do not feel OK with it do not do this. You need to know how to ground yourself and how to hanlde the computer parts. It is very easy but until you know how you might damage a part. Even if you know what you are doing from time to time you can break something.

Granamere
Old 09-12-2003, 01:32 AM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Yep all it takes is a static discharge below the level of human perception to fry the computer. Umm... that is if you hit it in the wrong places. I have a nice buzz emanating from my computer, but no performance issues. It sound's like a wire is being grazed by a fan, but I checked and all fans are clear. It sounds like it's coming from either my exhaust fans in the rear of the computer or the CPU fan, but I'm not 100% sure. If all else fails, I'll just blast the 1/2 cm of dust that's accumulated in my computer. Don't know how exacly it all got there, I mean I've got an air filter on the front and everything. Oh well, If the noise disappears with the dust I may make that a routine maintainence check from now on.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 09-12-2003, 03:44 AM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

well, when I turn on the computer and touch the tower casing ( any part ). I got electrocuted ( what I mean is that I can feel the electric ). is this serious?

hmmm...I open the casing but didn't smell anything or see any lose wiring. though I do notice it was a bit dusty. maybe it need some cleaning.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:58 AM   #8
Marikai
Dungeon Master

hmm... sounds serious.

If you are smelling a foul odour, or perhaps plastic burning, then i advise you take out your power supply and give it a clean with a cotton wool bud or something.. Make sure all your pc fans are working. And always remember, if your power fan is not working, then FIX IT! It will blow! ... heheh it happened to me lol!

I think a general clean out will do the job. Maybe remove any cards off the mainboard and put them back in after general clean off. Check your Heat sink for dust collection, for taht is where most heat comes from, and is potentially a fire hazard.

~Marikai
Glad to be Back!
[img]\"http://members.lycos.co.uk/arkana/phpBB2/images/avatars/178988289141833a89f34ac.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />Why am I trying to give, <br />when no one gives me a try, <br />Why am I dying to live, <br />if I\'m just living to die?
Old 09-12-2003, 05:03 AM   #9
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
well, when I turn on the computer and touch the tower casing ( any part ). I got electrocuted ( what I mean is that I can feel the electric ). is this serious?

hmmm...I open the casing but didn't smell anything or see any lose wiring. though I do notice it was a bit dusty. maybe it need some cleaning.
Yes, its serious. The biggest voltage in your PC should be 12V, which is generaly low enough that you cant feel it. I would guess that something in your PSU is shorting. Remove it from the case, without unplgging it, and put it on a mousemat. Power it up. If the case is still live you have another problem, otherwise you have a shorting PSU.

If the case is still live, try unplugging hard drives etc one by one till you find what the problem is. I seriously doubt its your motherboard, theres not much you can short there without killing the entire machine.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:55 AM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:

Name everything you have in the PC. Sounds like something isn't grounded. (The montherboard maybe? See if you have plastic nibs or metal keeping the MB connected to the case.

Other than that, a wire may be exposed, and touching the case. If I were you, SHUT DOWN NOW and get this figure out, or it'll for SURE turn into a major problem and could fry your entire PC!

PS: Or as Andrewas said, the Power Supply could be screwed, and not regulating the voltage.

[ 09-12-2003, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album