Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2002, 06:23 AM   #1
Jaegan
Dungeon Master

I finished all of the baldurs gate series and Im thinking of "maybe" getting Ice Wind Dale. Before I buy it though, I want to ask how how good it is and whether or not if you think I should get it.
Omega, drows of destruction,live power that brings doom. <br />Fo the blades that shed blood, Fo all the most powerful. <br />Tis the blade that waits, Raw it wants, Tis the blade that desires wake. <br />I try to find the drows that waits to kill.
Jaegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 07:00 AM   #2
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

lol; same here. IS it any good? or IWD2?
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 08:32 AM   #3
Witch King
Dungeon Master

Yep you should get it if you enjoyed the BG series. I don't think IWD is as good as the BG series, but it is still fun to play. The differences between the two are that IWD has hardly any sub-plots unlike BG and instead of picking your comrades on your travels you create them when you feel like
Old 06-07-2002, 12:56 PM   #4
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

By all means get it!

It is a different, and complimentary, gaming expereince to the BG series. While it does not have the NPC interactions and diverse side quests of BG I and II, it does offer much greater freedom in putting a party together. The storyline is well developed in its simplicity and the game can be quite challenging. Replayability is also high.

Personally I enjoyed this game every bit as much as the BG series, albeit in a different way. If you pick up the game, try to get hold of the expansion, Heart of Winter, as well.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:41 PM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

I really like IWD/HoW because I don't have to put up with other people's strange ideas of what an interesting NPC should be.... I suffered through the dismal choices for BG2 (BG1 was better in this regard, I think) but always came back to my creations for IWD.
Anyway, the scenery and feel of IWD are better than BG2. The music is vastly better!

Just wait until IWD2! [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 09:04 AM   #6
Grimslade
Drow Warrior

For me, Ice Wind Dale is a Bioware RPG, but one that feels more like Diablo, because it has got lots of action and "levelling up," yet less story than the BG games.

I guess it's up to your own tastes in the end though.
Grimslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 07:36 AM   #7
TheGrandSlayer
Red Wizard of Thay

You have to get it!Otherwise your going to be a dull person
God from montypyhton*myway of corse*:Oh just buy the game,AND DON'T SAY YOUR SORRY!Every time I talk to someone its "Oh forgive me" and "Im not worthy"....
Old 06-12-2002, 07:58 AM   #8
Lek Dukagjin
Dungeon Master

It depends whether you enjoy mindless hack'n'slash with a forced linearity and dungeons with similar monsters popping up in similar places. If so then get it. I got it for a tenner and have really enjoyed it. But I much prefer BG or, better yet, PST.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:37 AM   #9
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Like others, I truly enjoyed the aspect that you were able to create the party you always wanted to but weren't permitted to do so with other RPGs such as BG1 and 2 (which I also liked). The music is awesome, the graphics are good, and with Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster it is a fun game. Yes it is a hack & slash, but a fun hack and slash. Plus with HoW there is actually a little more role playing involved with side quests. There is even a demand for diplomacy along the way with the add ons. In addition IWD/HoW are now cheap and TotL is free. Can't go wrong there! I think this is a perfect game to install if you don't have the money for NWN and IWD2. By the way, your fighting tactics will be challenged. Good luck.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 06:53 PM   #10
ronan
The Magister

I actually finished IWD before BG or BG2 (comparitively) as i found it more focused and accesible but not as well rounded as the BG series. Buy it