Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2002, 06:22 AM   #11
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Multi-classing is not a good idea for spellcasters but you can multiclass your rogue and support him with some fighter levels. I have a 1 dwarf fighter/barb, 1 human fighter/paladin, 1 cleric, 1 wizard, 1 bard (leader, ranged attacker, spell caster) and a fighter/rogue. I use my rogue for both melee and ranged attacks. 1 wizard + 1 bard solves the magic problem [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just an advice, playing evil is not so much fun..
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 09:39 AM   #12
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

ok this is my party...

Leader Dwarf high con with shield

Human barbarian high str

elf ranger long bow high dex

drow wizard
Old 11-10-2002, 02:18 PM   #13
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok this is my party...

Leader Dwarf high con with shield

Human barbarian high str

elf ranger long bow high dex

drow wizard
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds good to me. The first time I played through the game and then through HoF I had a Drow Sorcerer. He ruled! Having a spellcaster with magic resistance is NICE! and the level penalties werent to bad. There is a trick to it that I heard a LONG time ago on this forum. The way the game works with EXP is to divide it up evenly among your characters; however if the number cant be divided evenly the remainder goes to the PARTY LEADER. So if you keep your Drow in charge of your galavanting band of raggamuffins he will SLOWLY catch up to everyone else. I say slowly because the remainder is usualy only a few
EXP point. BUT this combined with the "How to be an Adventurer" books that you can by at the Monestary in the 4th chapter actualy put my Drow AHEAD of the rest of my party. The first one in regular IWDII gives you 10,000 exp for 100,000 gp in heart of Fury its 20,000 exp. OR if you cant wait this long you can find a cheap tactic that will alow your wizard to kill enemies by himself and then KILL or let be killed your own party(evil huh?) and let your wizard level squat somewhere. You see when your party members are dead... they gain NO exp it all goes to the living memebers. So if there is only ONE living member he gets ALL the EXP. [img]smile.gif[/img] Cheesy. But if your impatient it is definatly a possibility.

A dwarf leading the party though??? I wouldnt. What class will he be? If hes the leader you want him to have high Charisma and Intelligence. Whats your wizards Charisma at? He may actualy be a better choice to lead. And you will probably want to put a couple rouge levels into the ranger so he can Disable traps and Pick locks. Human barbarian is a good choice, I would lower his charisma and intelegince down to 3 each. and pump everything else up.

The game may be difficult with only 4 characters though. And a cleric is a MUST!!!
Old 11-10-2002, 10:09 PM   #14
Yggdrasil
Dungeon Master

Update!

Just starting the Fell Wood with the 3-member party:

Aasimar Paladin6/Painbearer6 (14/12/14/10/17/16)
AC varied, depending on weapons (2h sword or defender + shield: 19 or 22 with max beetle armor)
Feats are: Extra Smite 1, Improved Critical, Lightning Reflex, Luck of Heroes, Large Sword 2

Human Fighter4/Battleguard9 (18/12/14/8/19/6)
ditto on the AC: either 18 or 20, usually wields Executioner's Wife
Feats are: Axe 3, Cleave 2, Great Fortitude, Improved Crititical, Luck of Heroes, Flail (2--should have been Mace but oh well)

Deep Gnome Rogue2/Illusionist9 (10,18,10,19,,13,6)
AC 20
Feats are: Bow 2, Disclipline, Rapid Shot, Greater Spell Focus, Spirit of Flame

General tactics: both clerics buffed with Bull Strength and Protection from Evil; wait until everyone in the party has enough points to advance at least one level before levelling up.

Also I am a big fan of using the gnome as a rabbit: toss a fireball at a group and then let them chase her for awhile (her next feat will definitely be Dash) before turning invisible.
Found a quasi-bug: after luring the Chief Bugbear (Fortress) into the kitchen, my gnome ran out and shut the door behind her.
When I re-opened the door with my tanks at the ready, he wasn't there!! That sucked, because then I thought I'd have to do the whole thing over (can't complete the mission without killing him); however, if you open the kitchen door, discover he's gone, just shut the door and
then open it again, he's there.

All in all, this party is performing very well now. Earlier I was wishing I'd taken an elf instead of a deep gnome, but she seems
to have worked out.

And whatever happened to Dimension Door? That was my favorite spell back in IWD1!!
Yggdrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 07:46 AM   #15
Vassago
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by jackal2513:
Right I am narrowing things down a bit and have also decided to add a 6th member for the fun and seeing as the game is supposed to be hard (i'll be playing at most difficult setting):

1. FIGHTER-TANK, fighter, human, high str, may multi to Barb after 4 lvls
2. TRUE-TANK, Fighter, shield dwarf, High Constitution
3. SHARPSHOOTER-MELEE, fighter, elf, Longbow, High Dexterity, Weapon Finesse etc..
4. HEALER, Cleric
5. SPELLCASTER, wizard or sorcerer, plenty of conjuring
6. LEADER, Rogue, for scouting/disarming/lockpicking/backstabbing
For your Rogue, I would suggest a hafling or elf. Hafling if you are planning on doing any kind of multiclassing w/ him. Elf if you are not. Give him an INT of atleast 14 and max out his dex. As for feats, I recommend taking Weapon Finesse (the one that applies dex bonus instead of str). You'll have to wait till level 2 though b/c a prereq for WF is BAB 1. Also, and this purely my recommendation, take Two-Weapon fighting and Amberdexity. Since a shield will hinder your theiving abilities, I found it more useful to have my Rogue swinging 2 short swords. There is a hafling (don't remember which one) that will give you an extra feat to start w/.

[ 11-11-2002, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Vassago ]
Old 11-11-2002, 12:32 PM   #16
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Tieflings are also good for rogues. The one-level penalty doesn't amount to much, and they get a bonus to INT at the start (among other things).

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote