Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2002, 09:01 PM   #11
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

Definately take Cyril's advice. If you've been through the BG series and have enjoyed IWD then you simply must get HOW and ToL. You will then begin to see some of those tougher creatures. One of the things I also noticed in IWD is the larger number of enemies you must often face. I am through a trek now of IWD and am just about to the end of Dragon's Eye with a level 18 paladin leading the way. What a thrill to see him be surrounded by 15+ cold wights on level 3 and watch as they explode around him. Much different than the first time he went through!
You might have a tough time finding HOW in stores. Try Interplay directly. I also don't know if your IWD characters can be imported to IWD2. If they can then it would definately be worth it to trek them through HOW and ToL.
Sorry, but I can't help when it comes to online gaming.
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 09:52 PM   #12
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

Peytin, you can't directly import your IWD characters into IWD 2. IWD 2 is set some 30 years after the original game and starts characters out at first level. It also uses the 3rd edition D&D rule set which has some rather important differences from the 2nd edition rules used in IWD/HOW.
Cyril Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:26 AM   #13
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

So they'll be a little bit older, but think of the experience!!!

Thanks for the advice Cyril. I haven't gotten IWD2 yet as I'm waiting to do some system upgrades after the holidays. Can't wait though.

BTW---any significant game changes you can clue me in on?

[ 12-19-2002, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: Peytin of Rothmire ]
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 10:54 AM   #14
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

The plot for IWD2 is designed very much as a sequel to the original IWD storyline. In fact there are even a few characters from the original game that reappear in IWD 2. The game adds some new areas to adventure in -- it starts in the town of Targos, for example -- but also takes you back to some of the original IWD locations.

The music and graphics are very well done and the combat is often much tougher that what one finds in the original IWD/HOW series. It is a very full game -- the plot, like the original, is linear but offers as much gameplay as IWD and HOW combined.

The biggest change is in the implementation of the new rule set. As a P&P gamer, I dislike 3rd edition rules, but I must admit that they do translate rather well to CRPG gaming. You'll notice the difference right away because character creation and development are now very different. Race and class restrictions have been removed and multiclassing is now handled by simply being able to choose a level in a new class when leveling up. In place of the usual class abilities 3rd edition implements a system of feats and skills that the player might choose from to customize his character's abilities.

I can't say much more without either spoiling the plot or reprinting the rule book *LOL* so I'll stop here.

BTW - I enjoyed IWD2 very much.
Cyril Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 01:24 PM   #15
basejump77
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Cyril,
Thanks for the info on IWD2 I was a little hesitant at first when you said that you cannot import your IWD characters, but I will go with your recommendation. I am just installing IWD2 as we speak. As for online gaming, well I am not much into it myself. I have looked everywhere for HOW and can't find it , everywhere is sold out, go figure. So after IWD2 and new campaigns through IWD and maybe a couple in BG series then what? Has anyone tried the Neverwinter with the 3d RPG engine? Thanks Peytin for the info on HOW and TOL I will definetiely look into getting it off of interplays website if I can. WORSE CASE SCENARIO there is always MYTH 2 and 3 I could recampaign on LOL.
basejump77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 02:40 PM   #16
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

Enjoy IWD 2, Basejump and let us know what you think of it.

A couple friends of mine had better luck finding HOW through online services like e-bay or half.com than in stores.

I've played NWN. The basic single player camapign is pretty lame. But the game ships with a toolset that allows users to create and share their own modules. About 1000 of these are already available for free download. In addition Bioware has just released an expansion campaign for the game that looks interesting as well as a host of tools that make using the toolset much easier.

You might want to vist the NWN forum here at IW to get a better feel for what people think of the game.

And while I'm advertising other IW boards, we also have a forum dedicated specifically to IWD 2 here.