Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2003, 01:57 PM   #1
andrewas
Harper

Otherwise known "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA", or for the less technical amongst us, one of the more common forms of Blue Screen of Death.

Anyway, NWN has been throwing those at me for a while now. I'm not sure exactly what caused it, it used to work fine, then I stopped playing for a few weeks, uninstalled, reinstalled, and log into IWs server. Crashes.

Trying some of the generic fixes for this error, I have had some effect, but not much good. Interesting, after killing the page file totaly and generating a new one, the frequency of crashes *increased*.

Ive got some suspect-quality RAM here I'm going to install, and then see if I can run the system with no page-file at all which I suspect will either fix the problem or cause another one, but if anyone has a better solution I'd like to here about it before I put hardware I'm not sure about into my box.

TIA
Old 07-02-2003, 12:02 AM   #2
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

You have to have a page file. There is no option not to. It is really bad idea to "remove it". What OS are you running? I am guessing 2000 or XP. Do you have Norton Utilities so you can defrag the page file. When you "removed" the page file and added it back you might have made it more fragmented. Do you have SOU installed or just the 1.30 patch? Can you play in single player mode? What video card and drivers are you running? Have you installed anything else on this system since NWN was last working on it?

Granamere
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 05:17 AM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Trust me, XP can run without a page file. But I dont have enough RAM to run it efficiently without cleaning out a lot more crap, and all the crap I havent cleaned out yet is internal to windows and a pain to get to. Sometimes I think back to the days of DOS, when the sysadmin could actualy control things, and I wonder why windows ever took off.

But I agree its a bad idea to remove it, but its about the only thing I havent tried yet. Its weird that NWN is the only thing to have any problems whatsoever, I have other games that are more demanding and none of them crash, ever.

Crashes happen in single player as well, its a geforce4 ti4200 running on a Nforce2 (which of course has the AC97 soundset known for causing this, but I have the right drivers for it so it shouldn't be a problem) and theres nothing major been installed since NWN other than Planescape and a few old games that windows dosent know about.

I'll try defragging before I bugger about with major things though. Should take about a week.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:53 PM   #4
Tyranny]SiN[
The Magister

They came out with windows so we can play great gamers like NWN [img]smile.gif[/img] , and BG2 and the list goes on and on. remember MUDS?? those were great too.

here is something I found this for u:

http://www.osr.com/ntinsider/1997/bsod/bsod.htm
Tyranny]SiN[ is offline   Reply With Quote