Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2004, 05:59 PM   #1
TheGlow
Dungeon Master

I remember being a bit bored with IWD1's lack of story, or non original characters, having to make them all, etc. But im dying to play something with some 3rd edition rules, and pc's at work cant handle newer stuff like NWN, but IWD2 should be right where it can handle.
So would this game be worth my while ya think?
Or is it still 5hours hack n slash, someone says Go left!, repeat..
TheGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Yeah, only it lasts a bit more than 5 hours [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2004, 03:49 PM   #3
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Much more of a strategy game than an RPG. You probably wouldn't enjoy it much if you didn't like IWD1. On the other hand, there is a mod that lets you play BG2 within the IWD2 engine (3 Ed rules) which you may be interested in.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:57 PM   #4
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

I'll say it has more of a storyline, and a better one, then IWD did. But not as good as BGI-BGII. However, with 3rd ED Rules, it is fun.
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

It's actually an extremely challenging game, even on normal difficulty. The thing that made me stop is that I needed almost every resource in every battle because I got swarmed by 5 goblin riders, 10 goblin archers and a frickin shaman!
Old 05-10-2004, 04:29 PM   #6
TheGlow
Dungeon Master

Ahh ok, sounds decent.
I just recall from at least where I got up to in IWD1, the battles were just standard issue, nothing exhilirating or challenging. And a story that didnt really push me.
TheGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 08:38 PM   #7
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

how far into IWD did you get? Because the pace slacks off a fair bit then take's a upswing.

it depend's on how you load ot your party how hard the game is..

The story is enough to keep ya playing, well it should be, it's just a good excuse to go hack and slash.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
I feel very obliged to share my enjoyment of the 2-3 hours I spent exploring Targos and the Prologue. I don't know how much further I have to go with it, (up to the bridge quest) but its certainly sucking my brain in! I couldn't stop playing it.
I'd go so far to say that the IWD2 prologue is up there in terms of entertainment with the likes of the BG series. That's how much fun I had with it last night.

I don't think I've laughed so hard in a while playing an infinity engined game. (The keg and the weapons instructor...LOL)
There is definitely some nice touches of mirth so far, slight self-conscious but very humanistic, which makes me quite hopeful for the game itself. It seems to me that the dialogue has taken a step up from the original Icewind Dale. And how I love the howling winds and wintery chill it fills you with! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think one of the things which let the original Icewind Dale down was its lack of npcs and general lack of character depth. But I still managed to enjoy it throughly just for its atmosphere alone. It compensated for its weaknesses by having some quite memorable and difficult battles and an attention to detail in the beauty of the natural world, which I think in many ways it succeeded.
Its a nice contrast to the BG series, despite the many similarities.

I actually just bought an original copy of it, boxed with maps and everything for $10AUS! The map went straight up on the wall.

But yes, just thought I'd say, so far so good for my IWD2 experience!
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:43 PM   #9
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

"It's actually an extremely challenging game, even on normal difficulty. The thing that made me stop is that I needed almost every resource in every battle because I got swarmed by 5 goblin riders, 10 goblin archers and a frickin shaman!"

I know just where you are and I also found that part tough (the game seperates the men from the boys at that part, lol). The "swarm" effect there can be lessened if you take out the drums that are on the map, otherwise the damned shamans will beat on them and they can keep summoning worg riders that way. That map needs some strag-edy to make it doable - you should play again, you'll truly enjoy winning that area once you figure it out [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2004, 12:24 AM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Yes, this game is very hard all the way to the end. Even BG 2 with all those difficulty mods don't compare to Icewind Dale 2 on normal, in my opinion...
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote