Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2002, 04:58 AM   #11
Epona
Zartan

I was on a bus in Italy. Someone phoned the driver to tell him what had happened, and he told us. My Italian isn't that great, so someone translated for us. My first thought was 'Oh f*ck, this will be used as a good excuse for a war' and how right I was.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:00 AM   #12
skywalker
Banned User

I had been out of work since mid-July and was in the middle of watching an Evil Dead double feature (1&2) on my TV. I had to go to the bathroom (too much coffee)so I stopped the tape. When I got back the news was on showing the first tower on fire. As I watched and listened, I saw the second plane hit. As Melusine wrote, sometime along I posted the Plane hitting the World Trade Center Tower thread. I then spent equally time between computer and TV.

And then I thought that the towers looked like they would fall over sideways and instead they fell straight down.....

Mark

[ADDED] Here is a link to the first WTC thread if you are interested: http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...0;t=003038;p=1

[ 09-11-2002, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: skywalker ]
Old 09-11-2002, 06:13 AM   #13
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I was sitting in a plane at Aberdeen Airport, waiting to fly to Gatwick, then on to Cork. It looked like the two seats next to me were going to remain empty, but at the last minute an elderly couple joined the flight. They sat down, we said our hello's etc, then they told me that a plane had just crashed into the World Trade Centre - they had just seen a news flash before getting on the plane.

The night before, our tour party of Australian golfers had farewelled our "American Bob" (we also had an Aussie Bob - had to have some way of yelling "Hey Bob" and getting the right one to answer). He had joined our party for the previous 2 weeks, and we had a great time getting to know him. We knew he was due to land at JFK some time that morning, and that he worked in the WTC. It turned out that his plane got turned around about an hour out of JFK, and seeing as he couldn't go to work or go home, he rejoined our tour for the Irish leg. It cut very close to home for him - he knew that he would have friends and co-workers amongst the casualties.

Our tour leader was an Aussie named Roy, who has married an American lass and lives in "Joisey" - Princeton actually, and I had visited with him and his wife back in May of last year. He spent a frantic 24 hours - 5 of them watching the CNN coverage at Gatwick airport - his wife regularly goes to Manhattan for business meetings, and one of the firms that she does consulting work for is based in the WTC. He was most relieved to get a call to say that the was all right.

A sobering day indeed.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:25 AM   #14
Donut
Jack Burton

I was sitting at my desk when skywalkers post popped up.

What an idiot - flying a plane into a skyscraper.

Couldn't he see it? Mental image forms in my head. Light plane.

There were people in the plane? Light plane - that's about 5 or 6 deaths, that's not good.

A ■■■■■■■ jet airliner, oh major cock-up, someones made a big mistake.

Another plane and the penny drops.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 09-11-2002, 07:30 AM   #15
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I was at home watching TV, so i knew it right away.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:52 AM   #16
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i was here in IW late at night when i found out because of the thread here. then turned on the tv... and watched till 4am in the morning.. different time schedule you know

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-11-2002, 08:04 AM   #17
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
I was right here browsing the Ironworks forum when Mark/Skywalker posted a topic about a plane crashing into the WTC (this was almost immediately after it happened).
I too was right here, my TV was right beside me while I was browsing Ironwroks and since the channel I was on was Sky news I heard it on TV first...but since I wasn't sure what the hell was going on it was comforting to see that others were witnessing the same events and that this couldn't be a cruel joke (like they had done once with a meteor incident or something).

It didn't seem real at first...and to this day I remember the words the news reporter said...this will undoubtedly bring gerat reprucssions and 9-11 will be remembered as a day that will in infamy.

How right he was.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:42 AM   #18
Grimslade
Drow Warrior

Well, I was asleep when it happened. So was the rest of my family. It was nightime in Australia. In the morning, I was woken up by Mum screaming at Dad to switch on the TV. Knowing that something serious was going on, I crawled out of bed and was glued to the TV for the next few hours. Having just woken up, and still in a state of sleep induced grogginess, the whole thing seemed like a dream...or a nightmare. I literally was expecting myself to wake up and think it was all a dream. But I didn't.

I went to uni that day...I drove there, and I was listening to the radio. One radio station canned all the music, and simply let people ring up and express themselves. People were weeping and mourning over the airwaves. It was an amazing outpouring of emotion.

When I got to uni, I still felt in a daze, and lots of my uni friends said they felt the same too. I know it's become a cliche, but that day, I really did feel that the way I viewed the world had been irrevocably changed. That false, protective bubble that I naively thought protected me and other "more developed" countries (such as America) had burst: more so, I learned that it had never been there in the first place. To use a postmodernist term, it was all a simulation constructed by ourselves.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:44 AM   #19
Thoran
Galvatron

I was driving to work in Garden Grove... 7:15ish, sitting in traffic and clicked on KROQ (as always), Kevin and Bean were talking about planes hitting the WTC and Pentagon... and of course I assumed they were joking. (they're rather off-the-wall radio personalities) I remember thinking "This is a pretty stupid skit". About 2/3 the way through my 30 minute commute it started to sink into my sleep addled brain that they weren't joking. I called my wife on the cell phone and told her to turn on the TV... when she did the first thing she said was "oh my GOD!" and I knew it was bad. Once I got to work I jumped onto cnn.com and got some more information that way, I sat for maybe 20 minutes staring at the computer and then drove back to our apartment in Irvine to be with my family. I tried to call home to the house in NY to see how my sister was faring (she was house sitting alone) and couldn't get through.

I was really mad, and sad, and worried because I have so many friends that fly often.

For weeks I had difficulty concentrating on work, NY is my home state... my family lives there, my friends live there. Love it or hate it, it's a part of the family. It's weird sometimes the things that go through your mind at a time like that, I distinctly remember a discussion with God I had not long after I first found out about the attack, it went something like this - "GOD, All those times I told you to push NYC into the Atlantic... I WAS KIDDING!"
Old 09-11-2002, 08:53 AM   #20
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

I was listening to my radio, 5 minutes after the first plane hit, when I heard the National Anthem start playing. I was surprised to hear it, but listened to it nevertheless. When the song was over the DJ came on and said that a plane had hit the WTC. I bolted out of my room and ran to turn on the TV. I got there just in time to see the second plane hit. I dont remember what I said, but I I do remember that my legs went boneless and I sort of collapsed into a chair. I was stunned. My Grandma and Niece came into the room to ask what was happening(I was living with/helping take care of my Grandma at the time). I told my Grandma, and she sat down with me to watch. We both just sort of stared blankly at the TV, watching in silence.

After a few minutes, when the numbness had started to wear off, I ran back into my room and logged onto MSN to get ahold of Cloudy. At the time, I didn't really realize that Albany NY is about a two hour drive from NYC. All I could think of was that she's in NY, and the Towers are in NY, and never in my life did I wish for the ability to teleport as I did at that instant. I spent the rest of the morning bouncing between the TV and the computer, talking to Cloudy and watching the news in horror. We(Cloudy and I) spent most of the day on IW and talking to each other on MSN, and worrying about our friends.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"