Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2002, 06:21 AM   #41
Heqakheperre Shoshenq II
Elite Waterdeep Guard

*picks up head and reattaches it*

Er... thanks for that enthusiastic welocome, Slackerboy!
Old 02-13-2002, 06:52 AM   #42
Grojlach
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Heqakheperre Shoshenq II:
*picks up head and reattaches it*

Er... thanks for that enthusiastic welocome, Slackerboy!

Ye Gods! It's Heq!
*Brings out flamethrower*
How's that for a "warm" welcome...
[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2002, 06:57 AM   #43
Neb
Account deleted by Request

*Throws an orange at the newbie* Welcome to IW [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Enjoy your stay here.

And don't feed the SSJ4Sephiroth.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:01 AM   #44
Grojlach
Zartan

On a more serious note...
I agree, Ironworks is one of the friendliest places of all the large sized message boards that I know of. BGDungeon wasn't that friendly in the end for example, and there are several some large BG boards where picking on newbies is normal. Heck, I could even name a certain board where the webmaster encourages the newbie bashing, telling everyone with a "stupid" question to read the FAQ instead, most likely with words like "moron" and "fool" in the same sentence. I visit a lot of message boards, I'm registered at many large-sized boards (large as in thousands of members), but this is the only larger one that's still on my "to visit daily" list just because it has the warmth of a much smaller board but the traffic of the larger ones. A perfect combination if you ask me. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2002, 07:18 AM   #45
Heqakheperre Shoshenq II
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It does indeed seem very friendly here! I've seen some pretty nasty places as well, but... *peers around*... yeah, I think I like it here!
Old 02-13-2002, 09:35 AM   #46
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by slackerboy:
one thing i have noticed that helps us, is that ironworks is not affiliated with any major company. forums that are owned and/or operated by actual game manufacturors seem to be the worst in my opinion.

I wonder why that is? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] No one in corporate wanting to take care of the boards much, you think? Although Arvon has said that the 3DO boards tend to be rather friendly, or at least neutral.

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 02-13-2002, 09:55 AM   #47
Grojlach
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

I wonder why that is? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] No one in corporate wanting to take care of the boards much, you think?

These boards tend to have an extreme lot of new members every day, even more than Ironworks has lately, simply because when people try to look for answers if they get stuck in a game they're more likely to go to the official developer's site first, rather than using google, altavista etc. to find other places with their questions. Problem is also that with a larger input of new members, more attention of the moderators is required to be wary of spam and flamers. And the web masters tend to get more distant then as well, seeing the board more as something that is expected from them for support reasonings, rather than a valuable addition to the site. They probably look upon running a message board as their duty because of the company behind them, while I think that Ziroc does it mostly for the love of it. Big difference between the two I reckon. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2002, 10:02 AM   #48
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

::nods:: I first went to Delphine for questions on Darkstone, then found the link to IW at another DS forum (don't remember which one now...). I stayed, lurked, bought BG then IWD/HoW, and the rest is sweet history!
Old 02-13-2002, 10:07 AM   #49
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Lucre:
You know i think that "newbie" bashers have got the phrase "Respect your elders" stucck in their heads.

Nothing wrong with that you whipper snapper hehehehhe

Old 02-13-2002, 02:04 PM   #50
Sigmar
Unicorn

quote:
Originally posted by slackerboy:
hey, sigmar. give me a link to that forum. i feel like doing some reverse newbie bashing. as in a newbie going in and tearing it up.

I appreciate that Slackerboy but I dont think it wouldd be a good idea to give them more fuel for their newbie burning fire, let the forum kill itself like all bad ones usually do.