Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2003, 07:19 PM   #1
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Are Spear/Halberd good choices for the Kensai? I am planning to dual to a thief at level 13. I also want to get quarterstaff (Staff of the Ram). I realize that I cant backstab with Spears and Halberds, but I still want to know if its a decent choice.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:30 PM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

well, with the Wave, and Dragons Breath, Halberds can be very deadly, as well as fun for RP purposes.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:31 PM   #3
dark soul
The Magister

spears are the most dumbest weapon to me.....it sux on damage and its to slow for my taste......halberds are like a different version of a 2-hander sword.....i think u should weild a katana for good speed factor and damage.....u can also use a katana to backstab which blows away mages with 1 hit most of the time
dark soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:43 PM   #4
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by dark soul:
spears are the most dumbest weapon to me.....it sux on damage and its to slow for my taste......halberds are like a different version of a 2-hander sword.....i think u should weild a katana for good speed factor and damage.....u can also use a katana to backstab which blows away mages with 1 hit most of the time
Find the Impaler, get grandmastery in its proficiencies. Then come back and tell me that its damage sucks. Ixil's nail isn't shabby either.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:51 PM   #5
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrenk:
Find the Impaler, get grandmastery in its proficiencies. Then come back and tell me that its damage sucks. Ixil's nail isn't shabby either.
Precisely! [img]smile.gif[/img] Impaler and the Staff of Striking are two of the best damage weapons in non-ToB BG2. If only they could be dual wielded

BTW, if you happen to have the Weimer Item Upgrade mod, Impaler can be made into an even nastier throwing weapon ::salivates into his beer::

I forget whether you are planning to solo or not. If so I think that you would be better off choosing thief weapons, although the spear is awfully tempting if you make it into a throwing weapon as above. The halberd is rather slow, and without armor the kensai often depends on getting in the first strike. If you aren't soloing, then it is an OK choice as you can use it to strike at the enemy from a distance, like behind a heavily armored tank.

[ 01-07-2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Desuma Malevois ]
Old 01-07-2003, 07:55 PM   #6
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Well, I am trying to decide between Spear and Halberd so that I can spend the other proficiencies on staff (Staff of Ram/Striking for backstabs). The problem is, I cant choose between Spear or Halberd. The Ravager is one of my favorite weapons, but so is the Impaler...

I refuse to make the throwing spear. It is too unbalanced-a missle version of the Impaler? The unicorn version is at least decent..but the Impaler?

I need help selecting between the two proficiencies. Any ideas?
Old 01-07-2003, 08:13 PM   #7
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
I refuse to make the throwing spear. It is too unbalanced-a missle version of the Impaler? The unicorn version is at least decent..but the Impaler?
OK, so make the Unicorn Spear a throwing spear but keep the Impaler "pure" - it's ultimately up to you

Quote:
I need help selecting between the two proficiencies. Any ideas?
I edited my post above to include suggestions while you were posting your reply. Assuming no Item Upgrade, I'd pick spear if soloing (because of the lesser speed factor) & halberd in a group.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:18 PM   #8
dark soul
The Magister

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dark soul:
Find the Impaler, get grandmastery in its proficiencies. Then come back and tell me that its damage sucks. Ixil's nail isn't shabby either.[/QUOTE]whoa....totally spaced out on the impaler...yea its a great weapon as u said.....but think of this...if u get grandmastery in spears and the impaler is found at that underwater city place....its kinda to late in the game....ixil nail is found in watchers keep on lvl 5.....thats also late in the game....and halberds are easily found with a good enchantment on them and they do a fair amount of damage....but still to slow......i was wrong when i said that spears where slow....there faster then halberds but do less damage....the halberds do more damage but slower.....they're almost even in power i guess....
dark soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:19 PM   #9
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Well, I'm looking for a challenge. I really don't want to modify either one, as they would be much more powerful as javelins. Another thing-I get the Impaler too late in the game, as I do as many quests as I can before the Underdark (although the ravager is also acquired late..+6 in tob, even) Second, there aren't many good spears: Impaler and Ixil's are the main contenders.

At lvl 13, what would the halberds speed be with a Kensai (- speed factor every few levels)?

Im biased towards halberds though. Change my mind [img]smile.gif[/img]

A minute too late...heh

[ 01-07-2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Pyrenk ]
Old 01-07-2003, 08:40 PM   #10
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Assuming 5 stars in halberd and two in two-handed weapon, the kensai should have -8 to the speed factor by level 13. Since the nonmagical version only has a speed factor of 9, go for it if that's what you want. [img]smile.gif[/img]