Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2002, 07:57 PM   #1
lroyo

What do you guys think about having Internet friends? Lately, I have made quite a few friends at IW, most (if not all), of which I will never meet. Outsiders would think it sad that we sit at our computers talking to strangers, while the real world passes us by. They say the standard things, like “How do you know you’re not talking to some dirty old man?” and “Don’t you think you should spend some time doing something worthwhile, and meet some real people?”

Should I care as much that Lady Blue failed her driving test yesterday (in America!)? Should I care that Downunda finally got a job, and seems to be enjoying it (in New Zealand!)? Should it matter to me that Cloudy’s Grandmother is sick? I do think about these things! My other friends and family members certainly think that’s weird!

It’s got me thinking! Is this a good thing? Is it healthy? Are we just wasting our time? What do you think?

Avi.

Old 07-10-2002, 08:02 PM   #2
uss
20th Level Warrior

I think that sadly, IW is kind of a time waste. The only thing it develops is my typing skills.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:08 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I don't think it's a waste of time Avi, most people you speak with here are nice and worth the time imo. And who knows, maybe you DO meet some of us when time comes. A lot of people around here already did !
Old 07-10-2002, 08:10 PM   #4
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Well, the people I meet here are more intelligent than the ones I encounter in RL, and I learn more from posts here than from the people I know in RL. Besides, I can't see what's harmful, it's a place where you won't be discriminated because of anything physical, because you don't have to reveal it. Besides the occasional heated debate or troll, it's a nicer place than RL.

I've met good friends on IW, and not too long ago I even met one of them in RL [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2002, 08:12 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I can say several things about this:

1) People who usually carp about people being online and "missing out on the real world" don't seem to have any problem with plopping their arses in front of the TV and zoning out for several hours. It makes you wonder, who's REALLY "out of touch"?

2) I have just as many RL friends and activities as I did before I got online. IW, like the rest of the Internet, is simply an extension of that, not a replacement.

3) I'd say I have plenty of REAL friends that I've made here and at other forums. And it is human nature to care about people.

Aviendha, most of the detractors of online activity have either heard a bunch of garbage about it from the media and have probably never engaged in it before. All they hear are the horror stories about chat rooms where 11-year-old girls are propositioned by 40-something perverts posing as 12-year-old boys. That's not to say that such things don't happen, but to hear the media go on about it, you'd think that's all the Internet consists of. But there's no convincing them otherwise.

So, if it brings you pleasure, and it's not harming anyone else, and you feel like you're benefiting from it, then don't worry about what others say. I have a feeling, if you'd look closely at their lives, they have little justification to "throw stones".

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 07-10-2002, 08:18 PM   #6
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
All they hear are the horror stories about chat rooms where 11-year-old girls are propositioned by 40-something perverts posing as 12-year-old boys.
Actually, Estonian chatrooms are *FULL* of that s**t.. that`s why i hate chatrooms.. unless its on IW [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Btw, Sazerac, Nice and big and shiny post you made there [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 07-10-2002, 08:20 PM   #7
SecretMaster
Apophis

THere is really nothin wrong with friends from long distance places. Is there anything wrong with pen pals? Besides, I enjoy the humourous remarks and fun RPG's from people!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2002, 08:26 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
All they hear are the horror stories about chat rooms where 11-year-old girls are propositioned by 40-something perverts posing as 12-year-old boys.
Actually, Estonian chatrooms are *FULL* of that s**t.. that`s why i hate chatrooms.. unless its on IW [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Btw, Sazerac, Nice and big and shiny post you made there [img]smile.gif[/img] .
[/QUOTE]Gaaagh! No kidding, uss? Bah! Well, I don't have much use for chatrooms either. Ironworks is good enough for me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks, BTW, about the post. What I means regarding the chatrooms, BTW, is that if you say "discussion forum", that's immediately what these people think. It just riles me that people make such unjustifiable pronouncements on things they have never experienced. How can you have an opinion on something you know nothing about and have never experienced for yourself, after all? But they'll do it, anyhoo...

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 07-10-2002, 08:43 PM   #9
Animal
Gold Dragon

I think perhaps you need to evaluate just exactly how important IW is in your life and how much time you spend here.
Do you spend every waking moment here?
When out doing something else do you long to get back to your computer so you can see what's going on here?
Do you ignore the outside world and live solely for IW?
In my opinion if you answer yes to any of these questions then it probably is a little unhealthy.
I see no problems with developing friendships on a BBS, it is no different than a pen pal, just the new tech way of conversing. If however you lose your grasp on reality and have no desire to develop relationships outside of IW then it's time to back off a bit.
Should I care if Lady Blue failed her driving test? Well it's a shame she failed it, but I certainly won't lose any sleep over it much the same as I would expect any of you to care about my problems or issues. Some advice is great and appreciated.
I can't say as I've made any good friends online, but I'm the type of person who has a handful of close, trusted friends and many acquantinces (sp?).
Bottom Line: A healthy balance between real life and online life isn't detremintal, but too much online life is. Just my two cents worth.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:44 PM   #10
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Since I moved to Washington Instant messenger is the only way I can keep in contact with my "real life" friends any way so some people on this forum are just as real a friend to me as my friends from hawaii

[ 07-10-2002, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: caleb ]