Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Hello all, Ive just started playing through BG2 again and finally with a few mods aswell, Anyway during the always epic process of generating a character I had a thought - how about making you're character terrible on purpose?

heres what I came up with > (the stats are from memory as I am that lazy)

Bad Norman

Race: Human

Class: Thief

Alignment: Chaotic Nuetral

Strength : 10
Dexterity: 17 ( i had to have one decent stat )
Constitution: 11
Wisdom:10
Intelligence: 9
Charisma:12

Proficiencies :
Club *
Dagger *
Single weapon style *

Heres the choice to make him truly dubious>

Thief skills:
Pickpocketing - 180
Lock Picking - 30
Set traps - 15
Stealth - 20

The idea being that the Bhaalspawn is nothing more than a petty crook allowing more of a comedy element into the game aswell as the possibility of him eventually becoming a good anti hero type

So Any thoughts? Have any of you gone for the deliberately bad character?

Also any party suggestions? (Korgan as ever is a must )
Old 06-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
slimjimosu
Dungeon Master

I think I remember reading about people who have played through the game with the peasant avatar and scores of straight 9's. Maybe even lower than that for all I know. I'm sure it's been done in the past but it does sound like a great RP opportunity. I had the most fun playing on one run through that I really sat down and thought out a storyline for my game.
slimjimosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Running through the game with a literally useless PC is only possible in BG1: This is sometimes known as a "Nobleman" game, as the first person to do it gave themselves the Nobleman avatar, and allowed their PC to do nothing apart from tell the others what to do, and carry stuff (nothing heavy, of course, that wouldn't be dignified). Midget Gems also ran a "Snow White" party, in which the PC was a Female Human Bard, who recruited a team of Dwarves, Gnomes, and Halflings, and sang to them all the time.

In BG2, however, building a useless main character is a quick route to the graveyard, simply because of such episodes as the "Transformation and the Dream" sequence in Chapter 4. With mods installed, it gets even worse, as so many of them target the PC. The closest thing I've seen on here in BG2 is the "Minnie the Minimalist Ranger" game, in which somebody (I forget who, sorry), made a Ranger and dropped her stats down to the absolute minimum. She was allowed to use items that improved those stats, though.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
Raistlin Majere
Ra

I recall someone running through the game with a fighter, all stats 9, using a dagger...

Don't remember if he used items to improve them, but he did have a party, of course.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Yep it seems like i'm gonna be having a tough time however having such a high pickpocket skill is alot of fun ! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
The closest thing I've seen on here in BG2 is the "Minnie the Minimalist Ranger" game, in which somebody (I forget who, sorry), made a Ranger and dropped her stats down to the absolute minimum. She was allowed to use items that improved those stats, though.
That was me! I'm still in BG1 with that character, and I'm having a lot of fun!

It's worth noting that an Elven Ranger has the highest minimal stats though.

I read on the Planet Baldurs Gate forums about a guy using a Jester with all stats 9 or the minimum and soloed the game.

Anything is possible in this game.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:31 PM   #7
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

which is the transformation and the dream you are talking about sixofspades?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:16 PM   #8
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

I think he means the one where you have to scrap with a certain old aquaintance
Old 06-13-2006, 09:39 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
I recall someone running through the game with a fighter, all stats 9, using a dagger...
That reminds me of a game where the PC was an utter coward: I forget his class and stats, but his AI was set to Thief(Defensive) or something like that, so his immediate reaction to any form of danger was to run away from it--in the Boots of Speed. I know he always made sure to wear the best armor available, 'cause he didn't wanna get hurt! This worked surprisingly well, actually, as the guy couldn't exactly be killed all that easily, and the rest of the party could take care of offense. The funniest thing is that he was Romancing Jaheira, so it looks like she was able to find an even bigger chicken than Khalid.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:59 AM   #10
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

i remember on the old interplay boards a bunch of people soloing 'nerfed' versions of all the classes/kits - maximum allowable stats total was 51 i think (?) with no one stat higher than 17 and no permanent stat enhancing items - something like that anyway

i vaguely remember paladins too weak to use swords and mages that had to cast strength in order to carry amy loot at all - sounded fun [img]smile.gif[/img]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote