Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2004, 06:54 AM   #1
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

... if someone is diabetic? This might be a strange question, but if anyone knows...
Cheers.
DS
Old 01-10-2004, 07:10 AM   #2
Jorath Calar
Harper

The big hump on their back and one leg shorter than the other usually gives it away...

Actually people with diabetes are just normal people and you can't see it on them in anyway, not that I know at least or have noticed, I know 3 people that are diabetec.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:10 AM   #3
Nerull
Lord Ao

Honestly, if you suspect someone is diabetic, convince them to go to the doctor and get tested. That is the best method, and I would recommending doing that as soon as possible. Trust me, I work in a hospital in a part of the US with a very high rate of diabetes. I see people wheeling around all of the time missing limbs because they didn't get tested until it was too late. Diabetes, while all too common, is not something to mess with. In other words, if you suspect that you or someone else has diabetes, schedule an appointment at the first opportunity to see a doctor and get tested.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 01-10-2004, 07:35 AM   #4
Smoothie
Manshoon

Diabetes is usually first diagnosed or indicated by sugar in the urine. So whenever you go to doctors for physical and they ask for urine they do a diptest with a little stick that indicates sugar levels and whether they are normal. After that they can further run tests to confirm if the sugar is in fact due to lack of or poor production of insulin.

Diabetes is hereditary and is commonly found in those with obesity. However, once you get diabetes weight loss does not eliminate the disease but may help control it.

For more info go here:
http://www.diabetes.org/homepage.jsp

[ 01-10-2004, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Smoothie ]
Old 01-10-2004, 10:18 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

There are several tests that are performed to determine if you're diabetic. A simple sugar test (how much sugar is in your blood or urine) is one, but the most effective, as I understand it, is something called an A1C test. This measures your sugar levels for the past several months, so you get a long-term reading, not something that could be spiked from a recent Krispy Kreme or twelve [img]smile.gif[/img]

I don't have diabetes, but both of my parents have Type-2 diabetes (formerly known as adult-onset diabetes). According to my doctor, if one of your parents has diabetes, you have a 70% chance of developing it. With two parents, it's 95%... so I'm taking actions now to delay its arrival as long as I can. It may never show up (there is that 5% chance [img]smile.gif[/img] ), but paying attention to controlling factors now (like losing weight and eating healthily) can increase your odds.

Best bet: check with your doctor, who will schedule the appropriate blood or urine tests to find out.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:27 AM   #6
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
In other words, if you suspect that you or someone else has diabetes, schedule an appointment at the first opportunity to see a doctor and get tested.
I agree with what you are saying,
but how do you suspect this?
are there symptoms which would point to diabeties?
Old 01-10-2004, 10:34 AM   #7
InjaYew
Zhentarim Guard

http://www.diabetes-and-symptoms.com/index.php3
Old 01-11-2004, 09:24 AM   #8
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Thanks guys.
One of my friends said she thought I might be diabetic because I drink a lot and keep twitching for no reason.