Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2004, 01:46 AM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Gas prices are going up. I don't know if you've seen it in your neighborhood in the USA, but USA-wide they are soaring. We are suddenly back up to nearly $2/gal. in Chicago, up from $1.60 just a few weeks ago. What's more, analysts predict it reaching $3/gal. by summer!! Now, if that's true, let us remember that in 1991 we were willing to back a war based largely on a $0.50/gal increase in fuel.

Now, here's my real bitch: Halliburton. This company recently took over 1/6 of the world's oil supplies in Iraq. Well, within months of it taking over, we have a scandal where Halliburton is overcharging by LARGE amounts on the Iraq contract. Now, gas prices are going up AND Halliburton is awarded the permanent contract. I SMELL A RAT! Something is afoot, my friends, and I don't know what the nefarious reasons are for Halliburton's incompetence AND governmental support, but I DO suspect a link to Cheney.

Let us see how this plays out.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:45 AM   #2
Faceman
Hathor

Boohooo
Gas is about 1 EURO/Litre over here (that's about 1.24$/0.26gal coming down to about 4.7$/gal)
So consider yourselves lucky. (You know I'm just joking, as I sure hate it myself when people tell me to stop whining because others got it even worse, what matters is the deterioration)
What strikes me the most over here is our low inflation rate. Inflation allegedly was about 20% (cumulative) since 1990 but gas prices have doubled (even back then it was more than 2$/gal over here), and prices for groceries, power, ... have gone up more than 50%. They keep explaining the low inflation rate with falling prices for cellphones, computers,... but - come on - who cares about the price for a new PentiumIV when he (like me) is earning 400$/month. I LOVE computers, but they don't make up my main spendings which are groceries and power.
Guess what, we've been cheated!