Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2003, 11:36 AM   #11
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I really can't rate the game has I have not gotton very far. Although I am enjoying it I have enjoyed the original much better at least from a starting prespective. IWD 2 has started off really slowly. But you should be able to get it on e-bay for a decent price. As far as third edition rules I like some thing but I am not fond of the new multi classing. It seems like that you can multiclass to many roles you wish, that is like insane I can see people having an hobbie or wanting a career change but they should have limited it to say only three roles, don't the people of forgotten realms have any sense of direction in their careers. But I guess that is OK because at least I have the choice to play how I want so I don't need to give anyone anymore roles than I want. Even though I still find it a little chaotic.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 04:41 PM   #12
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
I really can't rate the game has I have not gotton very far. Although I am enjoying it I have enjoyed the original much better at least from a starting prespective. IWD 2 has started off really slowly. But you should be able to get it on e-bay for a decent price. As far as third edition rules I like some thing but I am not fond of the new multi classing. It seems like that you can multiclass to many roles you wish, that is like insane I can see people having an hobbie or wanting a career change but they should have limited it to say only three roles, don't the people of forgotten realms have any sense of direction in their careers. But I guess that is OK because at least I have the choice to play how I want so I don't need to give anyone anymore roles than I want. Even though I still find it a little chaotic.
That's exactly why you get an xp penalty if you take too much classes and don't balance them...
Old 02-21-2003, 08:07 PM   #13
Dmouse
Dungeon Master

The game is fine but if you compared it with the previous games like BG & BG2, well there is something to be said about it. IWD2 & IWD, guides you through the story that they unfold and they isnt much room to roam around in the realm. So you are just being ushered along from one plot to the next. Its a whole story with no side turns. If i had a choice, i wouldnt buy the game and go back playing BG2 or 1 or NWN. They are better games.
Dmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 03:01 AM   #14
Pyrius
Dungeon Master

It rocks...failure to buy it will result in aliens administering painful probing. Seriously though its good if you like creating your own party, unlike the BG series. Also if you like heavy combat this is the game for you.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:50 AM   #15
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I like the third edition better than second, the spells, abilities, and items are nice, along with the new rules. I wish they would remake BG2 using the 3rd edition rules.

It would be cool to play as a Drow Paladin, or maybe an Elven Sorcerer/druid.

The intimidate skill would be so usefull too, in BG2. I really hated it when you where a very high level character, infamous in all the realm, but not even common thugs would get scared of you when you chosed option like "I killed tons of dragons, more demons than I can count, I can kill demiliches with both hands tied behind my back. Just look at me, and I'll cast feeblemind, contagion, and then emprisonment on you." and they would just attack.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:35 AM   #16
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

Howdy y'all. I was going to start a new thread asking IWDII forum users why I should crossover from BG2, when I saw this one. I constantly play BG2 and TOB and was thinking about starting up an IWD2. I've had the game for about 5 months and only played it once. I couldn't get into it because the very beginning put me to sleep with the constant back and forth errands and no action. I probably can't put into words how much I love BG so I'm wondering if it would be a big mistake to play IW2 before I get burnt out on BG(which may never happen). From the looks of this thread maybe I shouldn't. Anyone care to defend IW2 and talk me into it? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2003, 06:16 AM   #17
andrewas
Harper

There are *minor* BG2 spoilers through the below link, just incase anybody cares.

Luvian, The IceWind Gate 2 project is working on porting BG2 to the IWD2 engine. So you get Bg2 with the IWD2 spell lists, rulesets and all of that nonsense. The Final ToB battle without Timestop and Wish is going to be very interesting.

Details are here:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~weimer/b...wg2/index.html

Damn, they dont have a public beta yet.

Spongebob - it is hard to justify IWD2. Its nowhere near as good as Bg2, and not even as good as it should be. But if you dont insist on comparing it to Bg2, it is fairly good and a lot of fun. Just dont go expecting heavy roleplay or plot choices.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:51 AM   #18
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

Thanks, I still might give it try but I'm not sure yet. Hmmmmmmmmm.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:38 AM   #19
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

What I think? Cool. Better than IWD 1 in some ways.
eg: Hobbits can be anything you like.
Elves can be monks too.
I mean, IWD was a bit weird.
And who says wizards can't use bows? Is there a law against it in IWD?
And you can have teiflings. At last! They rule.
Party on Teifling Dudes
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:44 AM   #20
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

SpongeBobTheDestoyer I agree the start can be very tiring but it does pick up and get much more interesting later on. At least try to make it to Chapter 3 to see if you enjoy any areas. Personally I enjoyed the ice palace.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote