Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2003, 09:20 AM   #1
lethoso
Manshoon

well, for the past day or two i've been at the battlesquare place in the icepalace, and i've decided to have a serious go at finishing it. At present i've completed the first 5 ranks, and level 3 on the 6th rank, and level 1 on the 7th,8th,9th & 10th ranks. I'm using my wizard, casting skull traps and cloudkills before the baddies spawn, and then holding em in the cloudkill with chromatic orb, or killing them with other spells. My ranger, theif, druid, bard and cleric all die within minutes if i send them in. Anyone have any strategy suggestions for me?
Old 02-02-2003, 09:39 AM   #2
dragonslayer
Manshoon

finish up to chapter 4 before you seriously try this, ok to try with a wizard maybe. but maybe you'd want some summons? animate dead is an all time favourite, try getting greater boneguards, they rock.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:37 AM   #3
lethoso
Manshoon

no summons in the battlesquare, but i just managed to get up to level 4 on rank 6.... used my priest to cast a few glyph of warding....

[ 02-02-2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: lethoso ]
Old 02-03-2003, 07:30 AM   #4
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Since my question is on battle squares, I'm going to use this thread to post.

I am using my Level 9 fighter for this, but am having some problems. I click on a square and all of a sudden, she leaves the room and goes running off to the room where the rest of the party is being held. The monster then appears and goes running out of the room to look for me.

What is happening? Why won't my character stay in the room?

Thank you.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:39 AM   #5
lethoso
Manshoon

you have party ai set to something which is making the fighter run to the rest of your party?

but i just got past rank 6 [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 10:08 AM   #6
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

It's best to complete battle square at chapter 4. I completed battle square in chapter 2 and I always reloaded 'til I get xp award. I gained lots of level but the xp I gain in chapter 3 & 4 was reduced because my level was high. Wish I had completed battle square when I was chapter 4. My party could be 1-2 level higher with that way

Whatever, here's how I played battle square. I cast buff spells to my fighter. Then he attacks. I reload when air elemental appears. Shadow creatures easy.
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:14 PM   #7
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Zoltan, so you're saying it would be better to not do the battle squares in Chapter 2? That I should wait until Chapter 3 or 4? Since I'm having such a hard time anyway, that may be a better idea.

As for why my character keeps running to the rest of the party, I don't know why my character keeps running to be with the rest of the party. I don't think the AI is set to anything that would make her go running.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:49 PM   #8
dragonslayer
Manshoon

it's easy to try without ai, just click on ai button so the man in bottom right corner doesn't have lit eyes.

as for xp, yes, it's wiser, xp wise to do in chapter 4. Because the xp you get in BS is a set amount it won't be affected by what your lvls are, but you'll get much more xp from monsters in chapters 2-4 if you don't finish BS until just before exiting chap. 4
Old 02-03-2003, 05:39 PM   #9
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Thanks for the advice Dragonslayer. I have no problem just leaving it alone right now. I'll check out the ai button too. Appreciate it. Now I can go on exploring.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:52 PM   #10
Piestrider
Zhentarim Guard

What weapons or items do you get at the end of battle square? Just wondering... i never actually finished it.