Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2003, 10:20 PM   #11
Imrahil
Elminster

I'd definitely recommend getting it.

With that out of the way, though, I enjoyed IWDI much more. I'm not a fan of 3rd Edition rules (feels too dumbed down for my tastes) although I do like the Skills. I really dislike the multi-classing rules, except perhaps to replace the Dual Class rules for humans (maybe allow other races to Dual & use the 3rd Ed. rules) - then it might work. Actually, I do like that higher AC = better AC, though that's about it. I don't like that there are so many class-specific & race-specific dialogue options (how the heck does that guy I'm talking to know what class I am anyway?).

IWDII's just as linear as IWDI but I felt less compelled by the storyline - never really felt like the bad guys were all that bad or really threatened me (I felt more like a bad guy intruding on their little utopia).

The NPC's are a little less interesting, in that I couldn't really tell you anything about them, whereas I recall Hrothgar, Arundel, (heck, Wylfdene even), Larrel, etc. as being pretty interesting people. The few people in IWDII you see often enough to remember (Ulbrec, um... yeah) you don't ever interact with again.

The bad guys are wimps who I felt sorry for more than threatened by (*ahem* Belhifet).

There are some immensely annoying areas (not due to monsters, but due to tedium) in IWDII which you will hate & can single-handedly prevent you from ever wanting to replay the game.

So why, after all that, do I recommend getting it? [img]smile.gif[/img]

It's definitely fun for a one, maybe two time run through. There are many new character creation options. Skills, while only really useful for a handful of classes, are sorta interesting (Feats are just plain poorly implemented, IMO). Heck, any new Infinity Engine game that comes out I'm gonna buy & I don't regret getting this one. Any new D&D game that comes out I'm (probably) gonna buy (I regret Pool of Radiance, but as long as they don't try that again, I'll try it out at least). Also, it provides a nice, entertaining break from Baldur's Gate. [img]smile.gif[/img]

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 05:30 AM   #12
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

It's better in some ways, because mages can use crossbows
But IWDI was easier, and I finished it without smashing the computor.
havent finished IWDII yet...

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 06:42 AM   #13
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Xero279:
Hmm, i think im going to buy it. Even if i dont like it, i will need it for Icewind Gate 2, right?
I would check Ebay for it then, not worth the full game price IMHO, it's a strictly one play game, I couldn't put myself through the Frustration of "The hand" or those annoying woods you get lost in again (you'll see when you get there).
Old 03-18-2003, 11:28 AM   #14
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I am now currently enjoying IWDII as much as IWD. Took a little to get used to 3rd edition rules but it was really a minor thing as you can make some neat characters. For example create a level 1 ranger then convert to druid as your druid will be able to dual wield without penalties or wasting points. The worst thing about IWDII is it is slow boring and annoying up until the Ice Palace were for me it gets interesting. Really Slow Start! So for me IWD is a little better due to the fact it starts off a little better. Can't compare the ends yet however but I hope it doesn't slow down. I actually was OK with the forest in IWDII, the wilderness lore makes it not so bad.

One thing I will say is I don't think I would have enjoyed IWDII has much if I had not played IWD first. In IWDII there are a score of NPC's that return or are talked about so playing IWD lets you know and relate to their background if you are paying close attention to them.

Kuldahar and the pass are pretty much the same land wise and in 30 years it has changed a little, more houses, a little greener, but it is still almost the same. It has been kind of neat revisiting those areas.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:41 AM   #15
Magness
Quintesson

@Imrahil.

It's really a matter of taste and patience.

I really liked IWD2 and the 3rd ed rules. I never liked the old 2nd ED multiclass and dual class rules. I prefer the 3rd ed MC rules.

The Fell Wood didn't bother me all that much. And as far as replay, once you know the trick to fairly easily dealing with the Fell Wood (Wilderness Lore), it's not a problem. There are other areas that may test your patience, particularly for replay. I, myself, have mountains of patience and can easily let some of the tedium pass thru me so that I can enjoy the overall experience.

I didn't feel sorry for the villains in the slightest. Once their motivations were made clear, I felt plenty angry at them (more accurately at the writer for inflicting a PC plot on me). However, I don't let this stop me from enjoying the game.

Admittedly, the NPC's were a little less compelling or memorable. But that is in large part to the design of the overall plot. Unlike IWD1 where you have a single base of operations throughout the entire game (i.e. Khuldahar), in IWD2 your base of operations shifts throughout the game. Thus you do not go back to the same NPCs over and over again. IMHO it's a fair exchange. In IWD1, I found Khuldahar to be tedious after a while, particularly having to trudge aal the way thru town to get to the stores.

@Desdicado,

I absolutely loved IWD2 for the big battles! So what if they were trying to surround me! That was part of the challenge, not being overrun!

@Debaser ,

IMHO, it's weak to complain about IWD1 or 2 being linear hack'n'slash dungeon crawls. Both were advertised very early on as being exactly that. Thus, you could not help but know this before buying either. Caveat emptor.

@Xero279,

Yes, you will need IWD2 for Icewind Gate 2.

@pritchke,

You didn't find the Goblin Drums area interesting? That's one of my favorite areas in the game. It was very challenging, particularly the first time thru. Most parties just aren't tough enough to deal with that area with blunt force. IMHO It requires a bit more finesse. I loved it.

I do agree that if a person hasn't played IWD1 first, then some of the references would go over your head. However, since I had played IWD1 many times beforehand, I loved the references and found that they added flavor to the game.

I've come across some people that didn't like IWD2 because they didn't like revisiting some of the same areas. They claimed that it showed a lack of originality (I suppose that it depends how you feel about the concept of sequels and revisiting the "familiar") and a little laziness (i.e. reusing maps, they said ((bogus claim, the maps of the revisited areas were completely repainted)) ). These people claimed that they would have prefered 100% of the areas to be previously unvisited from IWD1. I enjoyed revisiting those areas. It gave me a nice sense of history and continuity.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 12:36 PM   #16
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

You didn't find the Goblin Drums area interesting?

The Goblin drums were interesting to a point. But it didn't take long to figure out were the Riders were coming from so after the first one they were no longer that interesting for me, but it was still fun to sneak around with my Monk looking for them.

I am currently in the Jungle of Chult. Very Nice! Did any one read the book "The Ring of Winter". They probably could have made an entire game based in this Jungle. Would probably be a good idea for a mod addition.

[ 03-19-2003, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote