Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2003, 10:27 PM   #1
firithwingion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just got IWD2 yesterday and I would like to know at what level can characters handle HoF mode, not breeze through, but actually have a challenge doing it without resorting to cheese because its absolutely too hard. I tried doing it with level 1 chars, but got my ass handed to me by *1* goblin (yea i know...). Any ideas on what level I should attempt HoF or is it supposed to be this hard? (i hope not)
Old 03-16-2003, 12:02 AM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Generally, players finish on normal mode, then export the winning characters and start HOF with them. Typically, a full party of six is around level 16 or so, a bit higher for short parties.

It isn't advisable to try HOF with level 1 characters until you know your way around the game. Gobbies on HOF have over a hundred hitpoints, and don't miss except on a roll of 1. Nasty.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 11:50 AM   #3
firithwingion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks for the info, but do you know if it is *possible* to finish HoF starting from scratch? I like a challenge, since bg2 has gotten way too easy, even with tactics mod.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:12 PM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Certainly. I've done it, and so have many others here. However, most went through HOF once at least with an exported winning crew first. It's always easier when you have sone knowledge, and in HOF, you want every advantage possible.

You don't have to finish normal, of course. You could bring your team up to, say, maybe level 10, then export and start in HOF. But I still advise going through once on normal anyway.

Nightowl2
Old 03-17-2003, 03:31 AM   #5
Khazraj
Dungeon Master

Level 1 new characters. If you squat also, you will hit level 30 before meeting Guthma!
Old 03-17-2003, 11:16 AM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

By "squatting", Khaz means not leveling up when you gain the experience. The big problem is that when you finally do level up, you gain all the levels at once. And you're not likely to be earning many more after that. I had a short experimental team where I squatted on the points and brought them up after saving the bridge. They were all maxed out, and I abandoned the group because they would not gain another level. Why bother?

Nightowl2
Old 03-17-2003, 12:29 PM   #7
xanderwatts
The Magister

becuase then you have the pleasure of blowing enemies apart with high level spells from your 30th level sorcerer.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:04 PM   #8
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Mmm. Well, one of the reasons to play these games is to watch your characters grow in power as they advance levels. When you take that away, you turn the game into a boring shooter at best.

Nightowl2
Old 03-17-2003, 08:42 PM   #9
firithwingion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm currently trying to kill all the orcs guarding the bridge (forgot the name), but it's the bridge where the neverwinter reinforcements are supposed to come from. I started HoF after getting a nice band of level 7 characters, its a little tough, but i think i can do it, they're currently level 12-14. Animate dead is a godsend if you have a higher level cleric. permanent summons with damage resistance makes shish-kaba out of orcs! The shadows from my mages are more powerful, but only last a couple rounds, making them somewhat limited in tanking ability.

I'm wondering what the best summons in the game are, taking into perspective duration, damage, hitpoints, and special abilities. Or should i forsake all the summons and just go straight offense/defense spells? I like the lightning bolt, but chain lightning seems to suck (it only hits 3 enemies when it says it should hit enough enemies equal to my caster level). At least with lightning bolt i can get 5 or 6 if i line it up correctly, and the damage isnt all that better, about the same except for the first target on chain lightning. What are your perspectives on the best spells of the game and what spell class should i specialize in? I'm currently having one on evocation and one on necromancy.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:35 PM   #10
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

Sounds like i should get around to finishing my IDW2 MOD. make it a bit harder (hehehe) and make the EXP giving more like the IWD 1 rules (but not exactly)

[ 03-18-2003, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: MasterPooBaa ]