Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2001, 10:42 AM   #21
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

LOL hehe BiLO you arent in PA are you? My dad used to be a big wig with a store called Riverside, now I think most of the Riversides have been turned into BiLo's [img]smile.gif[/img]

Nope I'm in NC, there a bunch of them around here. I lived outside of Philly for awhile a few years ago and there were grocery stores called Acme. I laughed whenever I saw them, just kept thinking of Wile E Coyote [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2001, 10:48 AM   #22
Donut
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
[QB]

Actually, by law generic medications (prescription) have to be the same chemically as the name brand. I have experimented some with over the counter meds, but I've always been able to find an off brand substitute that achieves the same results.

[QB]

The preparation has to be the same but there are differences in the way the drug is delivered. SR (Slow Release) LA (Long Acting) and MR (Modified Release) brand names are not the all the same, they release medication at different rates. If you prescribe a generic in this country the pharmacist can issue the generic or may substitute any of the brand names. In order to ensure that the same drug is issued every time the doctor has to specify the trade name, the pharmacist MUST issue this drug and not a generic equivalent. Similarly HRT patches differ in the relate of release.

Other than a few exceptions the generics are cheaper than and just as effective as the branded drugs.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-30-2001, 10:51 AM   #23
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

with food and drink, brands and with clothes, it depends how they look and feel.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:53 AM   #24
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
RB - Levi jeans $35? They can cost £80 (about $120) here, I guess buying them is not such an issue for you!

SC - YAY! I agree with you (surprise). I don't have any brand name clothing except for a pair of trainers which I got in the bargain bucket during a sale - well I didn't know what they were until someone pointed it out to me - I don't pay much attention to logos. I try to buy local organic stuff, not always easy around here.

About generic medicines - I get what I'm given. I don't pay for it other than through taxes, so it's usually generic. I don't care as long as it works. (Actually that's not true, I do care about the fact that huge multinational corporations make a huge profit out of illness through the mark up on brand names).

Hey, Epona, weird co-oincidence! I have a pair of Nike trainers that I bought for £5 second hand off someone in Brighton who was selling off all their stuff they didn't want anymore. Didn't realise they were Nike until a friend said, hey, you're wearing brand trainers...

I don't take medicine. Never ever get sick! Partly due to great genes, backed up by the fact I eat organic vegan, washed down with copious amounts of heavy duty filtered water...... (We can buy it in our local health food shop really cheap. Who needs mineral water...? Brighton's so great!!)
Old 11-30-2001, 03:53 PM   #25
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Well, I might as well weigh in here, too [img]smile.gif[/img]

I read the labels on OTC meds--if they're the same ingreds, then I get generic. Of course this isn't very often as I'm an herbalist and buy few chemical meds. ::shrugs:: (Not a rabid tree-hugger, just herbs work better with fewer side effects)

As for jeans, I have an hourglass figure and most women these days, it seems, are built more like boys--straight, no waist, no hips. So I buy any brand that nips in at the waist but still lets my hips have their space!

Shoes? Leather of whatever brand is affordable and decent that fits properly.

As for everything else, I don't really care. If I can get a comparrable product locally by local craftspeople, then I do. I'll even pay a little more. But I'm by no means a slave to brands. Oh, a few things like Van Camps pork and beans and Pepsi not Coke. Hubby has to have his Folgers. ::shrugs:: We're pretty simple folk, I guess [img]smile.gif[/img]