Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2001, 03:09 PM   #41
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Well I think you have to know the person. She's more grounded and concerned with material and mostly irrelevant things like, age and what that provides, like your car or your house and stuff like that.
Old 12-01-2001, 03:18 PM   #42
MagiK

Great post Silverlady [img]smile.gif[/img] Id ask you to Marry me if I didnt think you would kill me or I wouldnt starve to death because you wouldnt let me eat things I could palette [img]smile.gif[/img] hehe, Actually I am aware of most of what you stated, and In the case of Burma, you are right it is one of the worst.

In those cases where the governments of 3rd world and other countries allow "multinational" corporations to come in and take without bettering or bennefiting in some way that whole country...then they should be deposed and publicly flogged to death, especially when they cause their people to suffer. I still dont blame the corporations...well yes I do..but I blame the people entrusted to run those countries far more. There are many many decent hard working people in those corporations who are just trying to provide for their family, and if it is up to them they won't abuse other people...the problem comes in when your dealing with people in power who have no scruples and are only looking to see how much they can skim off the top of thier people and country. I really don't disagree with anything that you said, though I have no problem with useing animals to test products, and medications and I also will always see animals as a most natural form of food. I have heard that a lot of vegans say that man is an herbavore and that is not so, just like many bears, man is an omnivore and designed to get his sustenance from a wide variety of sources. I don't care for how they treat cattle when slaughtering them, but I cant devise a better more efficient or humane way either...all I can wish is that there be a quick death for the animals. I hunt for meat on occasion (where I live there is a severe problem with over population of deer) and yes a gun isnt "sporting" but it allows me to kill the animal nearly instantly if I take the time to become a good shot. I would not purposely injure the animal and allow it to slowly die. Now where does all that fit into spirituality? When I kill my source of food myself, I feel that Im more connected to and more responsible for that animals existance. I personally feel obligated to make a quick kill and to use as much of the animal as I can so that its death wasnt a waste. Do I think these thoughts while Im doing the deed? no...I have never actually expressed these things as words before...these are words representing a feeling..so ...any how

Thank you very much Cheetah of silver hue [img]smile.gif[/img] I was very moved by your sincerity and conviction And you too Lady Garnet and Tabitha and mouse and the rest of you too [img]smile.gif[/img] I find learnng about your perspectives and thoughts help to make me a better person. Thank you for sharing without condescension or hostility [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-01-2001, 03:27 PM   #43
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:

They certainly are! Why not open a thread debating some of these topics? To reply to your last 'rhetorical' question re the pelt of an animal for cosmetic purposes, my answer to that would be 'never'. But then, I'm a vegan, so its a pretty predictable answer.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well, that's a great idea, but pretty much everyone I know on this board is sensible enough to say the same as you, so it wouldn't be a very effective debate with only one side [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2001, 03:43 PM   #44
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:

Well, that's a great idea, but pretty much everyone I know on this board is sensible enough to say the same as you, so it wouldn't be a very effective debate with only one side [img]smile.gif[/img]

I could do a moot for the other side if you want? Wouldn't be mucn good though as I firmly agree with all of this stuff.

Someone said to me the other day that because my degree was in Government and Economics from LSE I could get a job in the city really easily. I couldn't care less to be honest. As long as I have health and happiness then I don't care how much money I have. It would be nice to be comfortable but I honestly don't want all the consumer goods. I work with an organisation called No Sweat that campaigns against the sweatshop labour issue and as a result I only buy clothes from charity shops like Oxfam. I look like I have just walked through a hedge but I don't particularly mind - I am just 20 years too late with the fashions!

It all comes down to what you want to acheive - I can't think of any material good that I want to work towards earning. Other than the necessaries for survival (and of course my lovely computer) I want to make an impact, not just earn money.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe