Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2002, 08:19 PM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Hi
I am thinking of going to Perth WA for about 2 weeks in late May/early June for a family holiday. I was there about 5 years ago in summer, and I enjoyed it (apart from the flies, that is).

Now that I'll be going in winter, what's the weather like that time of year? Besides spending a few days Perth/Fremantle, I am thinking of driving south to Margaret River/Busselton, Pembroke and Albany and then back up to Perth (or it could be the other way around).

Please bear in mind that we live in the tropics, so what may be mild weather to you may be bitterly cold to me! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Does it rain often? What time does the sun rise & set? Would my proposed time farme clash with any Significant Event That Causes Australia To Come To A Standstill, like the Australian equivalent of the World Cup or the Australian school holidays?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:23 PM   #2
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Davros? Datz ur terrortori *grynz* U da man giv hymn d ynfoe
Old 02-04-2002, 08:58 PM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

In Albany it always rains. Well, always used to. I can get pretty cold down there... well cold for Australia that is. Ah you're from the tropics I see. Yes it'll be cold.

Perth should be beautiful, but again, chilly for a tropical resident.

Once you get up to Geralton and further the word winter becomes irrelevant.

I love W.A. Hyashi. You'll have a ball. Some of the most beautiful sights around are in W.A.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 02-04-2002, 09:13 PM   #4
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Thanks Yorick.
In the tropics, as I'm sure you've seen when you stopped over in Singapore some time ago, the rain is normally a heavy shower that lasts perhaps 30 minutes to an hour. After that the sky clears and the sun comes out. Is the rain in Albany like that? Or is it more like the type you get in England - raining intermittently the whole day, the sun covered by dark clouds?
Also, I noticed that June is one of the wettest months of the year in WA. Does it rain every day?
I don't intend to go as far north as Geraldton - it's simply too far and I am not aware of any attractions north of Perth, except for Monkey Mia - which is a looooonnnggg drive up.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:31 PM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Hayashi:
Thanks Yorick.
In the tropics, as I'm sure you've seen when you stopped over in Singapore some time ago, the rain is normally a heavy shower that lasts perhaps 30 minutes to an hour. After that the sky clears and the sun comes out. Is the rain in Albany like that? Or is it more like the type you get in England - raining intermittently the whole day, the sun covered by dark clouds?
Also, I noticed that June is one of the wettest months of the year in WA. Does it rain every day?
I don't intend to go as far north as Geraldton - it's simply too far and I am not aware of any attractions north of Perth, except for Monkey Mia - which is a looooonnnggg drive up.

A long drive? Naaaaaaa.

As far as the rain goes, I was aged 10 or something when I was there. I remember it being rainy like the English version you mentioned, rather than the tropical variety, and that the locals bemoaned that it was always raining.

So take what I say in that context. Weather patterns may have changed in the last 20 years.

Bear in mind, that the further north you go, the quicker it is, as there are less and less people. I lived up near Marble Bar (which is really pretty) in a town called Newman. Up there there are the Wittenoom Gorges for a start, pretty canyons. West Oz is incredible my friend.

Down around Albany and the south there are some pretty special forests. Huge, huge trees. It didn't seem to be raining in Pembroke.

How long are you going for?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 02-04-2002, 10:17 PM   #6
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I'm planning about 12 - 14 days, with wife and children. I've heard of the Kauri (sp?) trees which is why I want to see it.

The last time I went, around Christmas '95, I stayed for about 9 days, and went as far south as Busselton. It was a bit disappointing, as it was Christmas so many of the places were closed on that day. But I did manage to see the dolphins at Bunbury and the lighthouse at Cape Naturaliste. We also stayed at a farm near Narrogin which my son enjoyed (daughter wasn't born yet. Now she sees the photo album and says she wants to go). Didn't get much chance to see Fremantle - just a morning trip to see the market there before rushing back to Perth to catch the flight home. There's this restaurant that a friend of mine told me about - Cicero's? Apparently they have excellent fish n' chips (always a fave with my children).

This time around, I'm thinking of exploring Margaret River and the caves there, the Kauri trees, and perhaps Albany. Of course, a farm stay for the children would be good.

Need to convince the wife though - MAS is offering a sweet deal on air tickets - only S$398 (roughly US$220) per person for a return trip! But I'll have to book the tix by 8 Feb.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:36 AM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Davros? Datz ur terrortori *grynz* U da man giv hymn d ynfoe

Pauly, have you had too much to drink - what is all that gibberspeak **grynzz**

Your timing is about perfect Hayashi - Autumn is the best of our weather. May is highly recommended. We get all out rain in winter, but that usually starts in about the 3rd week of June and carries through to mid August. In May you can expect 26 deg days and 16 deg nights - by mid June that will be 23 deg days, 12 deg nights. Great thing is that fly season is November to February - NO FLIES . I can't garuantee no rain, but you have picked the time I recommend to my family whenever they talk of visiting. The stuff you are looking to go see sounds great - the Valley of the Giants has a great tree top walkabout amongst the Kauri's, and I was in Albany last weekend (no rain Yorick [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

The days will be getting shorter, so you will have light till about 6:30 pm (currently 7:45 pm). Daylight will be about 06:10 am.

Cicerello's is the restaraunt in Fremantle - we have one in Mandurah as well, but the Freo one is classier. I live in Mandurah which is an hour south of Perth. Drop in and say Hi as you're going through. Maybe we could catch up for a meal somewhere. I will be over in QLD from May 12-19 though - I am viewing last rites on a mate of mine (he's getting married ), and visiting with Aelia.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:01 PM   #8
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Hi Davros
Thank you for replying. Sounds good! My plans are tentative at present, I do intend to travel in late May/early June which is when the is the mid-year school hols start here in Singapore. My wife, unfortunately, is dead set on going to Beijing, PRC.

WA is a popular holiday destination for Singaporeans as it's only 5 hours away bu air, and Singapore Airlines and Qantas/Bristish Airways operate daily flights to & from Perth.

I take it that the time period is the low season?
Old 02-06-2002, 04:33 AM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

quote:
Originally posted by Hayashi:
Hi Davros
Thank you for replying. Sounds good! My plans are tentative at present, I do intend to travel in late May/early June which is when the is the mid-year school hols start here in Singapore. My wife, unfortunately, is dead set on going to Beijing, PRC.

WA is a popular holiday destination for Singaporeans as it's only 5 hours away bu air, and Singapore Airlines and Qantas/Bristish Airways operate daily flights to & from Perth.

I take it that the time period is the low season?

Should be a reasonably popular time to visit Perth, but I don't believe there are any real high or low seasons. I've done the jaunt to Changi airport a few times myself - usually only get to stop there a couple of hours in transit to the UK though. Let me know if you have any more questions.