Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2003, 02:09 PM   #1
perlninja
Dungeon Master

Hello all,

I am in the frost salamander dungeon. I've given the key to Gareth and the slaves have left the room in preparation for leaving. I follow to the room with the (now unlocked) door. And my computer freezes irrecoverably. Every time. This hasn't happened in any other part of the game. Has anyone encountered anything like this that they attribute to the game itself? Or is this a bizarre hardware issue?

Thanks,

perlninja

P.S.The secret to a kickass mage, I have discovered, is to start as a fighter and dual class at level 9ish. You end up getting experience fast from the tougher monsters, and you have like 90hp, which for a mage is superb.
perlninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 02:40 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I follow to the room with the (now unlocked) door.

There is no need to follow the slaves after you have opened the door and freeded them, it is just another way to get to the start of the Wormtooth area (from the frost salamander palace it is the area you enter from the NW of the map ). Remember the area with several exits and a locked grate type door to the left.

Since I think this seems to be a bug, you can avoid it as you don't have to go that route, just continue your game.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 03:03 PM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

perlninja,

since this freeze up hasn't happened before and you apparently have been playing recently, I doubt that it's hardware failure related.

try doing the following:

make sure you have the latest patch installed

delete the contents of your cache, temp and tempsave folders

defrag your HD

restart the game

reload your last save and replay ....

that may fix the problem ....

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 03:31 PM   #4
NobleNick
Quintesson

perlninja,

To Micah's fine advice, I would add the step "cold boot PC" between the steps "Defrag HD" and "Restart game."

If Micah's advice doesn't work, following pritchke's seems like a quick and painless fix.

If you REALLY want to go through that door, you might have to go through the pain of reinstalling IWD (remember to back up your game files).

What's a party,
Without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!

[ 06-19-2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote