Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2002, 04:30 AM   #1
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

I know bards are supposed to help your party with their songs, but this is just stupid. With the bard feat lingering song, and liberal use of the pause button, you can effectively make all your characters gods... no wait, even gods would be unable to touch you. It's simple, you pause, then set one of the hotkeys on your bard's toolbar to play... War Chant of the Sith for example. You then hit the corresponding button over-and-over-and-over...ect. Every time you hit that button, you will have the bonuses applied AGAIN. THEY STACK! You could, if you wanted to, have your bard play the level 1 song, the level 5 song, and the level 11 song and give yourself their bonuses, a hundred times, a thousand times over. When I did this, I ended up with a party of characters with AC of 50+, bonus to hit of 45+, all their skills over 40, saving throw bonuses of 45+, and a damage bonus of 50! I could breeze through HoF with this party! It would take forever, because i would have to stop every two rounds to re-apply all the bonuses, but still, you don't need buffs, you dont even need to use a sword! Just with fists alone I managed to kill a goblin shaman in one hit with my wizard! I tried backstabbing with my rogue's fists. Sneak attack for 120 damage!

Needless to say, i'm going to kick the bard out of my party and replace her with something a little less godly. I really hope someone releases a patch soon that will stop this little (huge!) bug.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 03:51 PM   #2
Lord Corwin
The Magister

Think if I was going to cheat,wich is what your really doing...
I would resort to using Dalekeeper 2,or the built in cheat console.Rather than pausing every minute or so,and punching the hell out of a button,unpause play,pause...ect....... that would be mind numbing!!

Nice to know of another of the games little tricks though.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:22 PM   #3
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

That's exactly why i don't like bards. They are too cheesy. The developers should have made them less good and more balanced.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:33 PM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

You know, it's not because the game has an exploit that you need to use it...

If bards are cheesy because of that, then mages are because of all the spells exploits.

The whole game is also cheesy because of the HOF goblin slayer dagger... Lets all return the game, it's not worth playing it.

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2002, 08:18 PM   #5
Lord Corwin
The Magister

Na.... think I`ll keep my copy Luvian. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2002, 02:49 AM   #6
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Corwin:
Think if I was going to cheat,wich is what your really doing...
I would resort to using Dalekeeper 2,or the built in cheat console.Rather than pausing every minute or so,and punching the hell out of a button,unpause play,pause...ect....... that would be mind numbing!!

Nice to know of another of the games little tricks though.
Yes i know it is cheating, that is why i've stopped using a bard. I was not bragging, i was just informing others, what they do with the information is their business.

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
You know, it's not because the game has an exploit that you need to use it...

If bards are cheesy because of that, then mages are because of all the spells exploits.

The whole game is also cheesy because of the HOF goblin slayer dagger... Lets all return the game, it's not worth playing it.

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
No, you don't have to use an exploit just because it is there, but it is easier to just make sure that you wont use it by removing the temptation. Bards as a whole aren't really cheesey, its just that their songs can stack with themselves. You can legitimately stack 2 or 3 songs with each other by using the lingering song feat, but you should not be able to stack the songs with themselves. Mages themselves are not cheesey, some of the things that they can do are very cheesey, but the class itself is not. As for the goblin slayer dagger, how many of the later enemies are goblins? Sure, it makes the beginning of the game easy, but you cannot kill golems with it. Can't kill Auril priests, can't kill worgs.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:12 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by the new JR Jansen:
That's exactly why i don't like bards. They are too cheesy. The developers should have made them less good and more balanced.
I disagree completely. Since I don't use any 'cheats' like the one posted here, I see no reason to say they are 'cheesy'. My party has all the advantages and disadvantages of any other party. We just have a different mix of skills.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:20 AM   #8
xanderwatts
The Magister

I don't actually have the game, but it seems to me that it's really only cheesey if you use it. You don't have to excise the bard class from your life merely because you can become immensely powerful by exploiting a bug. Just don't exploit it! Just because it's there it doesn't mean you have to do it.