Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2003, 11:06 AM   #151
Donut
Jack Burton

The perennial cry - "if you don't like it go somewhere else'. The answer to all problems.

Many of my friends smoke so it wouldn't be practical for me to go to a non-smoking bar. Anyway I'd miss the unforgetable aroma of stale smoke on my coat in the morning.

What I'd like is a smoke free bar that I could take my parents for a drink in.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-12-2003, 11:14 AM   #152
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
The perennial cry - "if you don't like it go somewhere else'. The answer to all problems.

Many of my friends smoke so it wouldn't be practical for me to go to a non-smoking bar. Anyway I'd miss the unforgetable aroma of stale smoke on my coat in the morning.

That, my friend, is the answer. If there is enough people out there who want a smoke-free bar, then it will work. It will be interesting to see how these new laws play out.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:17 AM   #153
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
quote:

That, my friend, is the answer. If there is enough people out there who want a smoke-free bar, then it will work. It will be interesting to see how these new laws play out. [/QUOTE]No you haven't got my point. I have friends, they smoke, they want to go to a bar where they can smoke. So I have to suffer the foul smelling, stinkweed or not go out with them. Of course if they had to go outside the bar to pollute their lungs it could work, we could all be happy.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-12-2003, 11:20 AM   #154
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
If there is somewhere else for you to go, it is a fair answer -- and should be the first answer to all problems. If 2 people can go their own way and both live life as they please, why legislate their behavior? Sorry... behaviour?
Quote:
So are you saying you'd rather force your beliefs on them? If I were them I'd simply prefer you spare me your company.
Quote:
Fair enough. There should be non-smoking bars. I believe the market will provide them. There are certainly enough non-smokers (in the USA) to make such things viable. What you guys need on your side of the pond is a better anti-smoking campaign so you can enjoy the reduced rates of smoking we have seen over here. Unless things have changed since I was there in '99, every Britt will tell you that the USA has been much better at addressing this enviro/health problem.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:21 AM   #155
LordKathen

Quote:
quote:
quote:

That, my friend, is the answer. If there is enough people out there who want a smoke-free bar, then it will work. It will be interesting to see how these new laws play out. [/QUOTE]No you haven't got my point. I have friends, they smoke, they want to go to a bar where they can smoke. So I have to suffer the foul smelling, stinkweed or not go out with them. Of course if they had to go outside the bar to pollute their lungs it could work, we could all be happy. [/QUOTE]Have you asked them if they would be happy with your plan? Or are you assuming they would be happy with going outside in the cold rain to have a smoke?
Old 05-12-2003, 11:22 AM   #156
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
I have friends, they smoke, they want to go to a bar where they can smoke. So I have to suffer the foul smelling, stinkweed or not go out with them. Of course if they had to go outside the bar to pollute their lungs it could work, we could all be happy.
I see. You haven't the chutzpah to ask your friends not to smoke around you, and you want the government to do it for you. BTW, who are you to define their "happiness??"
Old 05-12-2003, 11:30 AM   #157
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
So are you saying you'd rather force your beliefs on them? If I were them I'd simply prefer you spare me your company.
Well luckily for me they are my friends whereas you are not. I would like them to stop smoking but it's their decision so I hardly think you can say I'm forcing my beliefs on them. I would like them not to smoke in my vicinity and they try to minimise the amount of smoke which comes my way. But the bottom line is they enjoy my company and I enjoy theirs. That's why we are mates.

[ 05-12-2003, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
Old 05-12-2003, 11:41 AM   #158
LordKathen

Quote:
quote:
Well luckily for me they are my friends whereas you are not. I would like them to stop smoking but it's their decision so I hardly think you can say I'm forcing my beliefs on them. I would like them not to smoke in my vicinity and they try to minimise the amount of smoke which comes my way. But the bottom line is they enjoy my company and I enjoy theirs. That's why we are mates. [/QUOTE]Except you are saying that while they have a smoke, you want them to go away. That is the bottom line. Its not enough that they make an effort to be conscienceous. You want them to leave. ??? Sounds like solid friendship to me...
Old 05-12-2003, 11:42 AM   #159
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
quote:
I have friends, they smoke, they want to go to a bar where they can smoke. So I have to suffer the foul smelling, stinkweed or not go out with them. Of course if they had to go outside the bar to pollute their lungs it could work, we could all be happy.
I see. You haven't the chutzpah to ask your friends not to smoke around you, and you want the government to do it for you. BTW, who are you to define their "happiness??" [/QUOTE]The majority of smokers would like to be able to give them up, that defines their happiness - not me.

Just because you are a lawyer in real life doesn't give you the right to misrepresent what I say here. It's my decision to go to the pub but I would prefer it if it was non-smoking.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:46 AM   #160
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Except you are saying that while they have a smoke, you want them to go away. That is the bottom line. Its not enough that they make an effort to be conscienceous. You want them to leave. ??? Sounds like solid friendship to me...
The door is 5 yards away. It's hardly a lifelong seperation is it?

[ 05-12-2003, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]