Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2002, 03:00 PM   #11
andrewas
Harper

Oil-cooling seem to be the most effective short of a peltier - and i woudnt touch a peltier by itself:

a)Your only shifting the heat a few centimeters, your still relying on air cooling after that

b)The cold side of the peltier can cause condensation

c)The peltier has very low thermal capacity by itself - so if it dies you dont even have the time provided by the heat sink to save you CPU

d)If the peltier dies you dont know about it unless you install an alarm

e) I had an e), but I forgot it.

Anyway, the only place I would put a peltier in a PC is on the heat exchanger of a liquid-cooler. Yes, you can get a lower core temp with a direct peltier, but id like my CPU to survive the process. And it is easier to install a peltier than a liquid cooler, but if your going to rig up an expensive cooler you should be prepared to put in the effort.

@/)eathkiller - a peltier is a neat device that actualy pumps heat.

@rudedawg - LOL
Old 05-24-2002, 05:58 PM   #12
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Well if you REALLY want cool..you could get one of those small deep freezers that get down to like -40f and put your Case in there and drill a hole for the cords [img]smile.gif[/img]
Nah, go with liquid nitrogen (-78C), or liquid helium (-270C ish) might be quite expensive though. Oh and there is probably a risk of explosion.
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Old 05-24-2002, 06:11 PM   #13
MagiK

[quote]Originally posted by Staralfur:
Quote:
Nah, go with liquid nitrogen (-78C), or liquid helium (-270C ish) might be quite expensive though. Oh and there is probably a risk of explosion.
Not a bad idea [img]smile.gif[/img] whats an occasional explosion between a boy and his CPU?

Old 05-24-2002, 06:16 PM   #14
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I toyed with this idea myself. Peltiers are effective, but risky. I would only use one if you are a serious overclocker and like to experiment and spend money. A thermal circuit using a relay which would trip off the power supply would be recommended along with a separate thermal triggered alarm. I don't think either would be too hard for someone who's familiar with a soldering iron and willing to look up some circuit schematics. Of course, PC component swapping has removed the need for basic electronic skills from techs. these days. Unless you have a personal interest, you wouldn't know anything beyond testing the output of the power supply. The only reason I know anything is due to HAM radio and that hobby has lost it's lustre to me these days.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:17 PM   #15
andrewas
Harper

You think theres a condensation problem with a peltier? Try liquid N2 and youll see a condensation problem. Oh and the equipment to keep it that cool puts out a couple decibels too many for my liking.

Besides how fast do you want it to go? 200% overclocked?