Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2003, 03:25 AM   #11
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I didn't close it, but I can see why it was. Every so often a "Joy of HTML" thread pops up and everyone has fun playing about with flashy text and effects. They soon turn spammy and get closed, but nobody gets black marks against them for participating.

All I would say is that too much HTML is a) messy b) distracting and c) can sometimes screw up the forum's formatting. Use it with restraint and make sure you know exactly what you are doing.

Carry on troops [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 04-25-2003, 04:54 AM   #12
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
qouted from other post
I`ve said it before, I`ll say it again: marquees are non-standard.
Put simply, do *NOT* use them. Ever. If you absolutely must have scrolly text, use an animated .gif
What he means is that marquee tags dont work in all browsers and using them is bad practice on a website and in theory in a forum post as well, since if someones using a non-IE browser they dont see anything flashy about it. But use them if you want, it works for the majority of people.

AS far as forum regs go, anything that dosent screw up the forum is allowed. SO as long as it can be read without too much effort, has all the tags closed, and dosent make the forum scroll sideways, it should be OK.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:40 AM   #13
LennonCook
Jack Burton

My point is simple: Marquees work in one, maybe two, browsers. Ok, sure, that`s the majority of people... but what kind of a majority ?? About 70%, I`d say.
Of that 70%, about 30% will see the marquees (especially the quickly moving ones) as blurry moving text that gives them a headache... I should know, I used to be one of them.
So, people who wouldn`t like you using marquees: 30% x 70% = 21% + 30% = 51% + me = 51.000000000000000001% Therefore, just over half of the people looking at your post can`t see it properly.
Making an animated gif, and calling it to the post as an image, will work in every browser that can display IW. That means that the 30% who`s browsers don`t support marquees don`t matter anymore, and potentially a few less people (we`ll say 5% less) get headaches by looking at them. And I`m happy too. This makes: 21% - (5% x 21%) = 18.95% of people looking at your page/post won`t be able to see it properly. Oh, and there`s less chance of it making the entire thread scroll across the page for all but about 30% of people...
Next thing, alot of people (including myself) think that the scrolly text looks annoying and immature... in special threads (such as birthday or newbie threads), it can be fun, but a whole thread devoted to marquees might be fun while it lasts (and only for the people who actually post in the thread), but it has no re-read value: it is spam.

Conclusion: Don`t use marquees. Try to avoid scrolly text. If you want special effects, do something *unique*, do something *new*, do something that we might just look at... and do something that won`t get me raving about standards.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:06 AM   #14
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well allrighty then. But wait, A moderater said I could in moderation. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2003, 06:57 AM   #15
Epona
Zartan

stormymystic - don't take it personally [img]smile.gif[/img]

Having been round here for donkey's years (ie over 2 years) I know it's quite common for threads like that to get locked. It's not a reflection on you at all - just that we have bandwidth problems here at IW, so if a thread is about people showing off their HTML with no actual discussion it eventually gets locked - it's not about you [img]smile.gif[/img]

We have had trouble in the past with HTML -people sometimes forget to close the tags and it messes up the forum which Z. then has to go and sort out, so HTML is allowed in moderation, but it's not a free-for-all - and threads like that previously have been locked too.

And just to correct you on one point - the posters do not decide what is spam. This is Ziroc's site, and whatever he says goes, whether you like it or not. We liken it to being visitors in Ziroc's house. If he says don't put your feet on the coffee-table, you don't do it. You don't get to argue the point with him! His forum, his decision, whether you like it or not. And he has given the moderators the right to uphold the rules of his 'house' - those rules being whatever he says they are.

So it was nothing personal about you [img]smile.gif[/img] Your thread got locked, but that doesn't mean it's your fault, or that you've had a telling off or anything. It's Ziroc's (and the moderators) right to lock any thread they choose - it doesn't necessarily mean that you've done anything bad. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I hope that helps explain the situation a bit.

Also in the TOS it says if you have a query about threads being locked or deleted to PM Z or the moderators, it *is* against the rules to post a thread about it. Just so you know for future [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2003, 08:48 AM   #16
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

LOL storm, don't worry about Lennon, no one listens to him anyway I know that cos no one listens to me either

Anyway you really are a newb if you get upset over something like this on internet. This is a completely impersonal thing with no consequence to your person or opinions whatsoever. Just wait till you start having some debates and people take it personal then attack you personally. You gotta be able to handle that too.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 04-25-2003, 10:24 AM   #17
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i guess everything is said.. nothing for me to add here. just bumpin so you can see it i guess.
just summarizing
- remember.. its impersonal so dont take it personally. the moderators have thier own good reasons in doing it..
- just pm the mods why this happened.. not a thread.. (against the rules)
- dont forget.. its Z forum .. so he has the right to do anything what he wants since its his.. he cant please the 10000 members who join his forum so he makes the rules ..

hope that wraps it up.

Catch me if you can..