Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2003, 06:27 PM   #1
BRNDL BACKBREAKER
Elite Waterdeep Guard

After completing the 8 chambers, eliminating the monks, etc. I can't get by the 3 Iron Golems before the opening to the underdark. I do not have a druid, however, Barbarian with 20 Str, 16 dex, Ranger with 17 str, 16 str. Even buffed up w/strength and protection I don't make a dent. Am using hammers +3 or +2. Any ideas.
BRNDL BACKBREAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 07:06 PM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

That is just a NASTY fight. Try using a LOT of summoned monsters to keep one or more of the iron golems occupied and concentrate EVERYTHING on one Iron golem at a time. You are correct that only bludgeoning weapons will damage them, and I believe that only +3 or better weapons are effective. There are some bludgeoning weapons which have +5 effective enchantments which you also might try.

I tried to keep my mage, cleric and thief out of the combat totally - they simply take too much damage too quickly. I used the cleric primarily for healing and monster summoning - heal spells being a REAL life saver (literally). For the mage - high level monster summoning was the order of the day - don't waste time with low level monsters as they are destroyed almost immediately! One cheesy tactic to try is to have your cleric cast ONE Spell resistance spell on EACH golem and THEN target the golem with acid based spells from your mage. Spell resistance has NO save, and immediately lowers the Golem's inherent spell resistance from 100% to something closer to 25%!!!!!! Make sure your fighters have acid resistance spells on them. If your cleric becomes a target cast Sanctuary FAST! Wait for the golem to move away and then resume your spellcasting - have a couple of sanctuary spells as back up. Use invisibility for your mage or thief if something similiar happens to them.

Make sure you have as many protections on your fighters as possible - protection from evil, prayer, bless, recitation, emotion: hope, defensive harmony, stoneskin, protection from acid, protection from poison (golem's vapor attack), haste, freedom of movement, improved invisibility if you have it are ALL useful. PLUS use potions!!! Potions of Heroism and Invulnerability are a MAJOR boost.

Keep trying and you'll succeed. [img]smile.gif[/img] Good luck.

If you are playing on HoF mode, this battle is simple as Kegsplitter slay constructs (i.e. golems) on ONE hit!

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:09 AM   #3
lethoso
Manshoon

i found my ranger using +5 arrows was able to waste them pretty easily, I just kept 3 of them busy with a whole bunch of zombie lords and greater drowned dead, beat one to death with my druid, ranger, cleric and theif, then got my ranger to finish the ones fighting my undead.... took a few goes to get the setup right, but was not too hard overall...