Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2001, 03:33 AM   #31
sylent
Emerald Dragon

I did not completely miss the point of the post (I hope), but I guess I don't really see much of the HS syndrome creeping into the board. I am not saying that it doesn't exist, I am just unaware of it.
Like I have said before, I judge people upon what they say, not who they associate with.

ahh well, I thought it was nice to hear about everyones high school experiences anyway.

------------------
"Watch your back"
Old 07-04-2001, 03:47 AM   #32
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sylent:
I did not completely miss the point of the post (I hope), but I guess I don't really see much of the HS syndrome creeping into the board. I am not saying that it doesn't exist, I am just unaware of it.
Like I have said before, I judge people upon what they say, not who they associate with.

ahh well, I thought it was nice to hear about everyones high school experiences anyway.
Yes it was nice to see them. I wasn't raining on any parades, Sylent! LOL, I just re-read the original post and wondered if anyone noticed what his point was since the HS description is so good and makes one immediately remember those days!

And since it is appropo: In my own HS I was in the College prep group which automatically singled one out as "teachers pet" and a "brainy nerd" type person in the general opinion. I had a very small circle of 'friends' and a slightly larger one of 'acquaintances'. If it weren't for the fact that I edited the Senior Yearbook, I doubt half the student body would have known my name. I had a date lined up for the Jr Prom but he ended up going with a more 'popular girl' and I ended up at my best friend's house, reading books, watching movies and having a pretty good time, all things considered!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 07-04-2001, 03:53 AM   #33
sylent
Emerald Dragon

All this talk about Proms...
At my school we don't even have one. hehe, so I guess I am missing out. From the sounds of it though, for a lot of people a prom is just an unwanted stress.
They sound like a bit of fun though, I wouldn't mind going to one... one day, maybe

------------------
"Watch your back"
Old 07-04-2001, 08:07 AM   #34
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Yes, but interestingly enough, I think everyone has missed the jist of RudeDawg's post in the first place, which was that "high school politics" seem to be creeping into people's interactions here on the forum and in messaging. Which is DEFINITELY not cool.

I watched them...all these former "jocks" and "cheerleaders" and "Bright People" who had made my life and so many of my friends lives living HE** for four years...some of them were gas station attendants, others were clerks in stores, some of the girls had 4 kids and broken marriages...

and I stood there, having just gotten a Ph.D. and looking at a future in teaching higher education in a different state, while they were still trapped in Monroe, and I shook my head and thought, "And at one time I actually let what you people thought of me AFFECT me?!"

and I walked out.

Call me petty, call me boorish, call me whatever you like. I walked out, and I did NOT look back.

I won't be returning for my 20th reunion this year. Whatever healing I've done I've done on my own.

Good for you, Sazerac! I would never want to know any of the kids I went to school with! I used to be desperate for friends - but yuck! I'm SO glad I was a misfit!
Reading the posts in this thread, and in many others, it seems to me that most of us were/are misfits! We 'march to a different tune' and hey! - am I glad we do!

Yeah, I got the point of RudeDawgs post re: the forum, too. But I don't think I have trodden on his toes - I hope, 'cos I'm sorta fond of him - so felt it best not to ask (I did in the original thread that vanished, but decided not to repeat it).

------------------

Old 07-04-2001, 01:28 PM   #35
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Yes, but interestingly enough, I think everyone has missed the jist of RudeDawg's post in the first place, which was that "high school politics" seem to be creeping into people's interactions here on the forum and in messaging. Which is DEFINITELY not cool.

Ahh, but I didn't miss the point - I simply didn't have anything intelligent to add about it, whereas the HS thing itself just set me off... I hope I don't indulge in any 'behaviour' referred to by Rudy here on the board (or in RL for that matter!), if I do, may as well just shoot me now... (j/k)

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 07-04-2001, 06:43 PM   #36
jabidas
Silver Dragon

High school politics on the board well to be perfectly honest I havnt seen it yet, what was that referring to.

------------------
Old 07-06-2001, 06:33 AM   #37
LoRD KHAiNE

you are all right. high school seems so.....so.....important but i know in the real world it's what you make of it. school is not a place for people to be better than others but rather of everyone to respect each other for the achievments he/she makes during that time and for others to attempt to meet the goals set by yourself whether compeditive or not. sadly, not may high schoolers recognise this which will only lead to regret later in life. i'm in year nine and asked questions like 'WHO AM I?' at age 12. my mum thinks i am wise and so does my best friend i do as well i hope i can get somewhere in life.

Old 07-06-2001, 07:11 AM   #38
sylent
Emerald Dragon

if only it were that simple for everyone...

- "What is intelligence without the wisdom to use it?"

{ps: welcome to the board Khaine!}

[This message has been edited by sylent (edited 07-06-2001).]