Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2002, 06:53 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Question Mark

LOL yall are probably wondering what this thread is about, couldn't think of a better title. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway, here's the scenario. I have a new secretary where I work, she's from the Ukraine. Well the other day I was sending out different Christmas cards to people, and this one that I thought was cute I showed to her before I put it in the envelope. It had a picture of a long haired orange cat (a Persian or somesuch - flat nose) with these big antlers on his head. She then said to me that some people would take offense at that picture. Well, totally baffled, I asked her what she meant. She said some people consider "antlers" as akin to a spouse cheating on you, where everyone knows about it but you. I truly have NEVER heard this before! She told me that it wasn't an American thing (which was good since I was sending this particular card to an American LOL). I asked her "well what about the UK? Would that card be offensive there too?" She wasn't sure, but said maybe those in France might understand what she was explaining to me.

Sooo, I'm curious as hell to know more about this, so am sending this question out to all of you. Has anyone ever heard of this? If so, please explain, because I really LOL want to know how antlers and cheating spouses fit together!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 12-17-2002, 06:56 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Can't you find something similar to post here ? I'll let you know later if i'm insulted.

[ 12-17-2002, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: johnny ]
Old 12-17-2002, 07:14 PM   #3
Ladyzekke

No I'm not having any luck finding a similar picture online (it was a Hallmark). Anyway, there was nothing crude or rude at all about it, the cat had a hat on with these antlers on it, in the shape of ANTLERS lol btw. It wasn't the picture, per se, she was referring to specifically, just the antlers. It could have been any picture with antlers on it, and it would have been the same, from what I understand from her. Just so odd!

I'm so curious LOL! I want to know!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 12-17-2002, 07:18 PM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Actually, i'm curious too. I can't see why anyone would have a problem with this. Makes me wonder about the sex life of Ukranians.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:21 PM   #5
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I've seen cards like that. Cute!

Isn't there some thing about having hay wrapped around your horns (or one horn?) that has something to do with spouses? Or actually now I think of it the hay bit I think represents like uxoriousness and that's bulls' horns not antlers, so uh... dunno

I heard the other day that for real reindeer or deer, whatever, the males actually lose their antlers before Christmas, and only the females have them in Santa's time of need. Typical really
Old 12-17-2002, 07:26 PM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

The only thing that I can think of is that, in classical literature, cuckolds were said to be "wearing horns", or someone "gave them a set of horns." The phallic resemblace is obvious, hence the vulgarism "horny" for lustful. I do have an old card that says, on the cover, "Antlers in the Treetops," and, inside, "Or, who goosed the moose?"
Old 12-17-2002, 07:33 PM   #7
Ladyzekke

I know Johnny! There HAS to be a story behind it LOL! Although the secy admitted she didn't know where it all came from, it just was a plain fact.

Aelia, yes it was adorable! The hat had the cat's ears flattened to the sides and he looked tolerant, but obviously disgusted at the entire thing LOL! Very smug look on his face!

Well a lot of members from the UK aren't online now because of the hour, maybe I'll get some answers tomorrow. Have to keep this thing bumped because I'm too curious to leave it alone LOL! Unfortunately, I don't think we have any members here from the actual Ukraine, if we do I've never seen him/her before anyways. We used to have one on the Blueboard, really nice guy, by the name of Kyle. His pic I think is still up on Stealthy's. Still wonder whatever happened to him, he just disappeared.

So I'll just sit here and wait.... thinking about antlers... and what catastrophic thing occurred in the Ukraine that made all people look at antlers in an offensive way LOL.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 12-17-2002, 07:36 PM   #8
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
The only thing that I can think of is that, in classical literature, cuckolds were said to be "wearing horns", or someone "gave them a set of horns." The phallic resemblace is obvious, hence the vulgarism "horny" for lustful. I do have an old card that says, on the cover, "Antlers in the Treetops," and, inside, "Or, who goosed the moose?"
Yes but the thing is, she says it means a Spouse is cheating and you don't know it, but everyone else does. She was very specific on that LOL. ??

Reality Show Recaps
Old 12-17-2002, 07:44 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

LOL!!

Last time people found that offensive, they were wearing Elizabethan high collars and going to the Globe Theatre! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 12-17-2002, 07:53 PM   #10
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Well, LadyZekke, maybe she thought that, by sending someone a card that shows something, (in this case, a cat) wearing horns that do not belong to it, that the sender is trying to tell the sendee that he or she is wearing a similar set of horns/antlers. At least, in the Ukraine.