Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2003, 01:38 AM   #1
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

I've fought Nessie many times to get the goodies in the cave. This run through, with a four party, I tried to cast 3 Elementals and two worked. One was quickly killed, and at some point she cast Body of Stone 7. I kept angling to the left to go after the cave... Meanwhile she retreated!!! At least three moves. And the one remaining Elemental started kicking her A. This was weird. I kept going towards the cave and made it. She was down about 30% by then. Normally when she cast Body it took many turns to have some impact..Anyway, I opened the chest and got Excalibur, Ring of Regen (+4 HP regen), Maiden Head (which is not that good but I can sell it) and other stuff. Well, I normally continue from there after her demise. Instead, I will leave her alive (transported out) and will approach Bayjin from the land on the other side. Will prob have to kill her later, but this is a new thing. Anyone else have a story like this? It shows the AI in this game can continue to surprise.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:17 AM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

you mean Nessy actually retreated during the fight with your party? that's new. Usually Nessy will just charge at you and stay with you until your party or Nessy is dead.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 12:21 PM   #3
Vaprakgruumsh
Drizzt Do'Urden

Odd. I have never heard of Nessy retreating. And I have fought her to the death like 15 times. And my wife fought her three times. And not once did she ever pull away.

I wonder if somehow one of the Elementals landed BLINDNESS or something on her (which usually causes a monster to retreat)? But she seems pretty magic resistant (like around 80 to 90% or higher, from what I can tell - heck, I think I have the hint book and it has her stats)...

I should check when I get home.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:14 PM   #4
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

I usually kill Nessie with ranged weapons, not melee. Start in the entrance of one of the tunnels, and step back a bit so Nessie can't melee. If I back up too fast or too far, she'll retreat.
Once she even retreated when i tried to reach another tunnel (when i entered from Mt. Gigas, and that tunnel entry is too far away).
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:50 PM   #5
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

I supposed it is possible that the remaining Elemental did something like Blind, but she had Body of Stone on so it coudn't have ben a blow... Must have been something good, should have looked at her stats. I generally get two or more Elementals going after her and then approach for close combat when all my protections are on.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:24 AM   #6
btennison
Elite Waterdeep Guard

FEAR BOLTS!!!

I've fought her several times and she's really not that much of a challenge. I equipt one or two of my crossbow folks with "Fear" bolts and in no time, Nessie is running for the furthest corner to hide. Killing her isn't that difficult when you get her in a tail chase situation.
btennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:58 PM   #7
Gilrad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have had her retreat with around 20hp left, but maybe it could be attributed to my solo ninja with over 100 for stealth. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 06:39 PM   #8
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

The Fear Bolts idea is great! And I had some. I don't recall firing any but that might explain it.