Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2000, 09:08 AM   #41
Zertyr

Well, my job is okay. Im 23 and I am marketing manager for a BIG american
company. Guess they love old army boyz eh? (Was in the army for 2 years).

But now i have my team of 20 good fun ppl to work with. Best thing is all
the work audits i have to do, thats the fun part. But my Co Manager is a
woman, and she is not impressed by my ways of hiring ppl. I mean, big chest
means big brains eh?? Nah, just kidding. Love my work.

Old 12-15-2000, 09:21 AM   #42
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

LOL!!!!
i see nothing wrong in your reasoning..!

Well I´m 27 and work as a graphic/webdesigner at a small adventising agency, we are only 10 ppl here and most are married and have kids, kind of lonely at the weeks out on afterwork... LOl
But well who knows what will happen after X.mas..
Old 12-15-2000, 02:41 PM   #43
Japes Al`Thor

Definetly agree with Omegadawn... George R.R. Martin's trilogy (Game of thrones, Clash of Kings, Sea of swords) are masterpieces of tight complex storytelling in a brutally harsh setting that is almost believable (very little magic or non-human races). People get hurt, heroes die, betrayals surprise, and you simply can't stop reading.

Other books I enjoyed above average:

- The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay (rarely did I care about characters as much as those in that trilogy).

- Anything by Salvatore.

- Most books by Robert Heinlein (SF but still..).

- The recent Dune books by Herbert (the son) - House Atreides and House Harkonnen - Masterpieces of intricacy in a deeply developped SF setting.

- As mentioned by many, the classics of high fantasy by Tolkien, the Sword of Truth, the wheel of time (even though I got bored with the verbosity by book 5, the first few tomes were enthralling), the Coldfire trilogy (Gerald Tarrant is such a great villain) and Battlefield Earth (the BOOK, certainly not the movie!).

My 2 cents' worth...

Old 12-15-2000, 02:56 PM   #44
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

I reading th Poatal of Death series by marget weis and tracy hickman i'm somewherin in book 3
But now i have to read a book in english
Does anyone know the name of a book about elminster????
Old 12-15-2000, 03:19 PM   #45
_max_RUSSKIE

Does ANYONE know Ursula Le Guin's: Earthsea Trilogy????

Old 12-15-2000, 04:52 PM   #46
Melusine
Dracolisk

BUMP!!!!!!

Wow great thread!!!!! but erm... are you asking about Fantasy books only? Because while I do read them (Armisael- Terry Pratchett does the same thing to me, he's hilarious ) I'm wondering if anyone ever reads ~stiffens upper lip, looks haughtily down her nose~ "real literature". Ok just kidding but I noticed that everybody only mentions Fantasy novels (except for E.A. Poe, Lovecraft and Tolkien which I believe are on a higher level) and I just wondered if anybody reads any books other than those? (Btw. SF lovers with a taste for original, weird, intelligent books etc. DO CHECK OUT the books by IAIN M. BANKS!!!!!!!!!)
Old 12-15-2000, 04:59 PM   #47
Jon the Hell Caster

I do I read the Earth Sea books! They Rock!

Old 12-15-2000, 09:15 PM   #48
Armisael

Alright. On a less 'classical' note, anything by Ben Elton. Ever read Popcorn or Blast from the Past? Definitely not fantasy, and damn that guy can write. Not afraid of what he's writing, either.

Old 12-15-2000, 11:27 PM   #49
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Whats a thread about books without mentioning the "Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis. Sure they are childrens books, but hey I'm 27 years old and still read the series every once in a while. Truly great adventures!
And away from fantasy, I also really like the last two books by John Grisham("Street Lawyer" and "The Testament". The humanitarian themes are very compelling. Also "Siddhartha" by Herman Hess, "Brave new world" by Aldous Huxley, and "Too kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee are some examples of my favorite "classics". This string is great, I'm going to library tomarrow to check out some of the suggestions I've read. Books Rock!!!!!
Old 12-15-2000, 11:51 PM   #50
Mr. Underhill
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Any one ever read the Illuminatus trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson, I highly recomend it, your life will never be the same, it will truly blow your mind. So oo will all his other books. I also love anything by Dr. Timothy Leary, Dr. John C. Lilly, and Aldous Huxley (Doors of Pereption). Also for any of you Futurists out there check out Buckminster Fuller, and Barbra Marx Hubbard.
Anything by R.A. Salvator is a must read. And of course the J.R.R Tolkien, who we owe everything to, without his brilliance I dare say roleplaying as a whole would be truly different if non-existent.
If your into any thing remarkably deep and complex you have to go with James Joyce, who is probably the greatest writer of the 20th century if not ever, you can read Finnagans Wake a thousand time and never really understand it's myriad profundities. I beleive there are over 17 different languages wich he puns in english threw out the novel, it's a brilliant peice of litirature, in a sense it is not read but rather it is deciphered and it's meaning vary on who is reading it. A close second would be Thomas Pynchon whose works include Gravitys Rainbow, and Mason Dixon to name a few.
Ohh.. and I almost left out Phillup K. Dick, who blows my mind. and of course how could I not mention George Orwell.
OK thats enough I could go on for ever, I read so many damn good books it would take a novel to recomend everyone.
p.s. Can't leave out, I'll read anything by Aliester Crowley, and Wilheim Reich if I can find them, most are quite obscure.