Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2002, 07:49 PM   #1
drewal
Drow Warrior

Spoilers belo.

The sadistic and vindictive necromancer Lysander Rift has collected the tears of Bhaal, and is facing Irenicus and his dreaded fragments alone.

His first thought was, "sacrificing a single peasant for one tear of Bhaal? My father must be getting weak."

His second thought was cutoff as a Beholder, a vicious summoned sword, the dragon of pride the wraith and a few others spilled his entrails onto the ground in hell.

He now seeks advice on what he should do.

My character is level 36 necromancer, thus no misleading, projecting images or simalucrums allowed.

I can manage the dragon of pride, but quickly fall after that - playing on hard difficulty not insane - any advice Dundee/Alson/et al?
Old 12-30-2002, 08:02 PM   #2
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Summon Mordekainens Swords to tackle the Wraith of Wrath, Skeleton warriors also makes for nice fodder against the Beholder and Irenicus. I'd send a Mordie to stall the Sword of Greed as well, and then take him down with Magic damage spells. Incendiary Cloud works nicely against Irenicus (keeps interrupting him) if you don't want to waste your Dragon Breaths at that point.

Using Time Stop first thing you do and summon all of your cannon fodder before the battle starts is also recommended. Irenicus will also steal certain items from you if you have them equipped, so find out what he is stealing and drop those to the ground prior to the battle.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:05 AM   #3
Alson
Galvatron

(Ab)Using the Wish spell's option "restore all spells" is a good idea for a solo Mages in big battles.

Your initial move should be casting Time Stop, and follow by casting Improved Alacrity. Summon three Mordies, one Skeleton Warrior and one Planetar. Now, replace the Summon Mordy slots with three Finger of Death, the Animate Dead slot with Sunfire/Breach and the Summon Planetar slot - with Dragon's Breath.
You should still have enough time to cast 4 Wish spells (if your WIS < 18, drink a Potion of Insight before all this). Cross fingers and hope for the best. [img]smile.gif[/img] Try to get the Rest option - if you don't get it, you can try the Hardiness option or the Mass Improved Haste option to make your summon more sturdy. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Continue with the battle as planned - send the Mordies against the Wraith, the Skeleton Warrior against Irenicus and the Planetar against the Orb. Bombard the Dragon with Greater Malison followed by Fingers of Death. Kill the Sword of Greed with Magic Missiles and Skull Trap (save your 8th level slots for something tougher).

Repeat the Time Stop -> Wish procedure if needed, and hope for the best. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 01:50 PM   #4
drewal
Drow Warrior

I've got a handle on the Beholder, Greed Sword and Dragon. Time Stop, Improved Alacrity, three lower magic resistances at Dragon, summon planetar.

Let time start momentarily so the lower resistances hti dragon.

Time stop, improved alacrity, blast the Dragon with 10 magic missiles and one Abi Dalzhim's.

Find the sword, blast it with two Abi Dalzhim's.

Time Stop, Improved Alacrity

Hit Beholder with pierce magic and two lower resistances, then shot my spell trigger loaded with three animate dead spells at him.

Time starts. Planar and 3 Skeleton Warriors make short work of Behodler, I begin to run away from Wraith, summong Mordies as fast as I can.

My summons seem to run out of steam with the Wraith - never killed him - and eventually something happens and I take 80% of my hit points in damage, and then I die. I not sure what, as the dialogue box disappears.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:03 PM   #5
drewal
Drow Warrior

What will damage the Wraith of Wrath in the final battle? Nothing I try seems to work, I've gotten to barely injured once...

The dragon and the sword and the beholder fall easily enough, but this guy can't be touched. If I go into slayer mode he destroys me in a ridiculous amount of time.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:22 PM   #6
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

He's got a permanent Protection from Magic on him (the same effect you can get with the two scrolls in the Adventurer's Mart) so as a mage, your options are rather limited. Really, your only chance is to combine either Energy Blades or MMF (or any other physical attack you can think of, don't worry about your THAC0) with Time Stop forget about piercing his -20> AC without TS

He isn't that hardy so one or two castings of MMF and/or Energy Blades should be enough. You'll still probably need more than one TS to kill him, but with multiple Wish spells, you shouldn't run out.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:34 AM   #7
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by drewal:
I've got a handle on the Beholder, Greed Sword and Dragon. Time Stop, Improved Alacrity, three lower magic resistances at Dragon, summon planetar.
Let time start momentarily so the lower resistances hti dragon.
Time stop, improved alacrity, blast the Dragon with 10 magic missiles and one Abi Dalzhim's.
Find the sword, blast it with two Abi Dalzhim's.
Time Stop, Improved Alacrity
Hit Beholder with pierce magic and two lower resistances, then shot my spell trigger loaded with three animate dead spells at him.
Time starts. Planar and 3 Skeleton Warriors make short work of Behodler, I begin to run away from Wraith, summong Mordies as fast as I can.
My summons seem to run out of steam with the Wraith - never killed him - and eventually something happens and I take 80% of my hit points in damage, and then I die. I not sure what, as the dialogue box disappears.
3 Time Stop, 3 Improved Alacrity and 1 Summon Planater?!
Your Necromancer has 7 9th level slots, or have you forgot to add "Wish -> Rest" somewhere in here?
Old 01-01-2003, 09:40 AM   #8
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Rataxes:
He isn't that hardy so one or two castings of MMF and/or Energy Blades should be enough. You'll still probably need more than one TS to kill him, but with multiple Wish spells, you shouldn't run out.
Actually, the Wraith of Wrath has 300HP and regenerates 2HP per round, so you'll need quite a few casting of these spells.

I would use Melf's Minute Meteors if i were you - 9th level spells are just too important, here. Rataxes is right about using Time Stop - unless you want to count on critical hits.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:47 AM   #9
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

300 HP? He seemed to fall in no time at all vs my Archer and Jaheira, he was always the first one to fall in all of my attempts to defeat Imp Irenicus [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2003, 10:03 AM   #10
Alson
Galvatron

Yep, 300HP.

An Archer is, IMO, the ideal character to handle with the Wraith of Wrath. The Kensai and the Archer are the only two characters with low enough THAC0 to actually hit him regularly, but the Archer has the advantage of staying out of melee range, thus avoiding the Wraith's devastating STR draning attacks.

On the other hand, Kensais can throw Spears, Axes and Daggers, so i'd call it a tie.