Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2002, 10:16 AM   #1
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

OK, just bought the game today. Rather confused about the whole thing, been playing BGII (2nd Ed) for almost 3 years now, so the switch is rather dis-orienting. Basically my question is this:
Is a sneak attack like a backstab? As in, do you have to stealth, walk behind them, then hit? Or does it do it auto-matically? The reason I ask, is because when I'm attacking kegs (love that "smug looking keg") I always get the sneak attack, but when I'm attacking goblins, I have to move behind, then hit.

Thanks in advance.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:55 AM   #2
Eg0[)e@th
Dungeon Master

I'm not certain but it may be do to the fact that kegs are non sentient. This makes it easy to sneak up on them.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:29 AM   #3
Madrigal Five
Dungeon Master

Your FIRST successful attack on the back (flank?) of an enemy is counted as a Sneak Attack. So you don't necessarily have to be Hidden to do this. Of course, it's just about impossible to maneuver to outflank an enemy without him facing you unless you're Hidden or if the target is busy attacking somebody else.

MY KEG THEORY: While some monster (oozes or slimes) have no backs, I think a keg is ALL BACK, so a rogue's first hit on a keg is always a Sneak Attack.

A loophole that I think works is Backstabbing enemy A, switch and Backstab enemy B, then attack enemy A again. This should count as a new Sneak Attack and you get to deliver extra damage again. Try it and see if it really works or if I just misread the combat feedback.
Madrigal Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:57 AM   #4
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Sneak Attack is more useful than backstab IMO. You cause more damage, you can sneak attack easily, damage multiplier is higher. At level 9 you got 6-30 sneak damage it's a big bonus. Mostly, I let my tanks attack enemies. While monsters are fighting with my front line fighters. I hit them from left right and rear! I'm very sneaky [img]smile.gif[/img]
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:34 PM   #5
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Sneak attacks happen in two ways. The first is when you come up behind an enemy while in shadows or invisible and strike. The second is when an enemy is already busy fighting someone else, and your rogue comes up from behind and attacks; this is known as "flanking the enemy".

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 01:10 PM   #6
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Kinda three.

Flank while invisible
Flank while they are busy.
Attack while they are asleep or comatose.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:05 PM   #7
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Thanks guys, that clears it up heaps.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:06 PM   #8
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Also you can sneak attack if they're stunned - I've had a nice 1-2 punch once already with my new group that has a monk and a rogue, both very stealthy guys. They sneak to the back of enemy ranks together, the Monk attacks first with a stunning attack, then the rogue gets all sneak attacks on the guy the monk stunned - very sweet