Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2002, 10:06 AM   #1
lroyo

I've been thinking about something a lot lately. In fact, it's really since I started to post at this forum that I have realized a distinct difference in my life. I've actually started to use my brain a bit again!

When I was in my late teens, I spent many hours either by myself, or hanging out with a couple of close friends, thinking about things, whether it be the meaning of life, the existence of God, or something else completely profound. Then I got a full time job, started doing courses, bought a house, etc. etc. and have managed to get myself stuck in a routine.

Over the last few years, learning something new has become a bit of a chore, and thinking about difficult concepts has not even come into the equation (other than during my courses).

After being involved in some of the more thought-provoking posts in IW lately, I have realized that I actually don't know much about anything, and that learning something new and thinking about new things can actually be fun. It seems that in general, we pick up a text book and read it to progress our career, or gain an extra qualification. How many people actually learn something and study something for the pure enjoyment of it, or the advancement of their own intellect.

I, for one, have always wanted to do some Astronomy, but since I have never actually needed to, for either my job or my studies, have not done anything about it. Well maybe it's about time I did.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about, or am I just talking crazy stuff?

Aviendha.

Old 05-18-2002, 10:19 AM   #2
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, it makes perfect sense. There is something immensely satisfying about coming across a new concept and actually understanding it

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 05-18-2002, 10:19 AM   #3
Lioness
Jack Burton

I know what you're talking about. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2002, 10:33 AM   #4
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Congratulations Aviendha, and yes, I do. I went through much the same thing. In my case I was in my early 20's and I couldn't remember when the last time I read a book for pleasure was. For some reason, I picked up an old copy of Edgar Rice Burrough's, "The land that time forgot"! It was an actual turning point in my life and reading that book kindled a ravenous flame within me. To this day I never leave my home without at least a paper back book of some nature on my person.
Old 05-18-2002, 11:36 AM   #5
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

glad to hear it, as have I being around here, though you know, I am actually starting to scare myself sometimes... like right now... i'm thinking of about 30 differint things i could do but i don't know which one so instead i just sit around contemplating the universe and chatting around... right now im thinking of some very VILE means in which i could exploit some folks at school [img]smile.gif[/img] *prints out those haunted pictures he found on the net and wraps them up as gifts for all the people he doesn't like*
Old 05-18-2002, 11:49 AM   #6
Lord Shield

The.Relic, if you like Edfgar Rice Burroughs, ,trty hiw "John Carter of Mars" books - they make for fun sci-fi

Old 05-18-2002, 12:11 PM   #7
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Thanks Lord Shield, I'm always looking for good authors to read. Amazing really, Edgar set me on my journey in my early 20's and that was over 20 years ago. My apppetite is voracious [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2002, 12:23 PM   #8
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by The.Relic:
Thanks Lord Shield, I'm always looking for good authors to read. Amazing really, Edgar set me on my journey in my early 20's and that was over 20 years ago. My apppetite is voracious [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hey there, fellow geezer howrya?

For a series of books that are thought-provoking, terrific reads, and (shh, don't tell anyone) full of really incredible historical detail and fact mixed with just the right amount of sci-fi supposition, I highly recomend the TimeWars series - 12 books- by Simon Hawke, printed by Ace Books in paperback in the mid-1980's thru 1991 for the last one. The richness of the backgrounds of the various periods depicted is awesome without being burdensome [img]smile.gif[/img]

Amanda, Kyleia, and Kathleen\'s Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official procrastinator of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
unOfficial Homeopathic Quacktitioner of the IW Realm
Old 05-18-2002, 01:06 PM   #9
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I've always wanted to learn the rules of contract bridge more intensively, but till this day (since I started work) I haven't touched the 4-5 books I bought back in 1998! Probably time I should start reading them...

Then, there's accounting, finance and economics which I know I should try to learn more about. But they seem kind of dry...
Old 05-18-2002, 06:19 PM   #10
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
astronomy sounds like fun, i think you should go for it.