Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 07:50 AM   #11
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

I know it's not a tank, it looks like an M113 APC. It's not just civilians who get the nomenclature wrong, the M551 Sheridan was an Armored Reconnaissance Airborne Assault Vehicle but when I was in the army everyone called it a tank.
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Without throwing a tread here, and going on a stroll down memory lane, I will repent, and restate, *IN THE MODERN ERA OF MILITARY HARDWARE, THAT IS NOT A TANK, IT IS IN FACT AN APC*. A tank on the modern field of battle is unmistakable, ever so misunderstood, and verbally downgraded by *most* news agencies in an attempt to sell the story!

The M3 'Stuart' was a late 30's design built for quick action in the early 1940's, we have one here in the museum. However, if you notice it had 51mm of armor, which is almost twice as much as a modern APC! And less than a tenth of a modern tank.

The M551? Ha! Again, goes back to technical analogy. The M551 was and is still classified as a light tank. Two reasons for this account:
1. It had a 152mm direct fire cannon.
2. It weighed more than the M113 APC at 17 tons. With more than half again the armor.

However, in the modern era it falls short on many accounts, but has been replaced by another 'explicit', except this one is on wheels, and has the street name of 'Stryker'. However unique the Sheridan might be to you, feel warm knowing that it is the only military vehicle that has been retired and placed in museums, as well as still serving with the OPFOR at the NTC in the desert sands of Ft. Irwin!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

DAMN!!! At first I thought it would be like the movie TANK. But this was disappointing.

[ 07-18-2007, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #14
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

I think you guys are kinda missing the point here... man driving around in thing knocking stuff over is the main point.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #15
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Reminds me of this video from a few years ago.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WYL00x9oMH8

Of course the driver of this stolen tank ended up shot by police.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #16
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

I wonder how the guy got his hands on the large armored vehicle anyways, I mean does he just purchase it from ebay or something?
Old 07-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #17
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Ah, yes, tanks Lady-Z. That is in fact a tank.

Well, the article did state the vehicle was personally owned, and had just been restored. One can purchase many items on the open market. However, once de-milled for civilian use, it has very little left, except the nostalgia of owning it.

However, that old M60 tank from the second video was still in military service with the California National Guard.

A M113 is not really that large, only about 13 short tons, and large enough to uncomfortably carry a 6 man squad. Thou 9 men have been packed into them on occasion. It's not really armored as the name is tricky, it's built from aluminum alloy, and will on occasion take both an entrance and exit hole in line. But to the civilian, it might be something MORE. Personally, I would be more worried about a mad truck driver with a load of freight, or a distressed bus driver than that M113!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #18
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Other than sheer mass for pushing things over, the M113 is far less dangerous at 20-30 km/hr than a big rig travelling at 100+ km/hr.