Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2002, 03:40 PM   #41
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Sio, the point is not about your spelling. Montgomerie was a Field Marshall, you made him a Colonel.
I hate to argue with Double Donut Seven...but Davros *does* have a tendency to pick nits some times. Just my [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] . *ducks for cover*

[ 11-01-2002, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Nachtrafe ]

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 10-31-2002, 05:25 PM   #42
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
Originally posted by Sio:
So basically you have ntohing better to do than critizise my spelling, punctuation and anything you can about my post, it really is great when people like you do that, whenever there is a spelling msitake or anything your there, pointing it out to make yourself look good or make you feel better about yourself most probably, or maybe you just like making people feel like dipshits and stupid in front of other people?
Sio, the point is not about your spelling. Montgomerie was a Field Marshall, you made him a Colonel.[/QUOTE]LOL - nothing of the sort Sio - your previous post said that you didn't understand why I couldn't make the connection.

My answer was directed at letting you know why I couldn't - there was just too much wrong (rank primarily, then spelling)for me to be able to grasp that. I gave a few genuine examples where I felt I could have made the connection. My mind wanted to make the leap, but there was simply too much gap to jump.

The choice is yours now as to whether you still want to label or categorise me (Thanks Nactrafe - you are not hepling ).
Old 10-31-2002, 05:40 PM   #43
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

To back up Davros I have to say I had no idea you were talking about that egotistical over-cautious, over-rated windbag Field Marshall Bernard Montgomery (Monty). Sorry but General George S. Patton told me to say that via Ouija board awhile ago. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2002, 09:53 PM   #44
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

I've said it before and I';; say it again... Jethro Tull. As the father of agronomy he is directly responsible for agriculture moving from an 'art or vocation' to a dicipline of science. The result of this has meant an increase in food production and the quality of food that has kept the world ahead of Malthus. Leaders and generals come and go. Tull made life possible for billions of people world-wide and increased the quality-of-life of billions of others. I think that qualifies as significant.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:55 AM   #45
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

For all those people who said Churchill, just want to point out a few things. Our good friend Winston called a vote of No-Confidence on the issue of equal pay for women once. In other words, once the Parliament had said yes to the bill he declared another vote would be held, and if this one was not a resounding no he would dissolve Parliament all together to go for a re-election. He also campaigned quite strongly for enforced sterilisation of the handicapped. And he stuck to his principles so well that he served as a government minister for both the liberal and the conservative parties, he started conservative then switched to liberal when they took power. After the liberals became insignificant he then had another miraculous conversion and became a conservative again. Extremely convenient.

Oh yeah, he was a good war leader... but I expect Maggie would have been too if we had given her half the chance. Doesn't exactly make him a "Great Briton" in my view.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 11-01-2002, 06:06 AM   #46
Epona
Zartan

Just to add to what Barry said - I don't rate Churchill either, for the reasons Barry stated. Interestingly, you know the speeches he is so famous for? - Well some of his radio speeches were allegedly done by voice-actors because he was sometimes too drunk!
I heard this many years ago now, there was quite a respectable program on the BBC about it, but never heard much about it again after that. But those were the allegations put forward in this program.
He was also not at all popular for much of the time he was in power, one of the most unpopular PMs ever, many people absolutely loathed him. That has been forgotten by more recent generations who wish to see a glorious past in our history.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:45 AM   #47
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Just to add to what Barry said - I don't rate Churchill either, for the reasons Barry stated. Interestingly, you know the speeches he is so famous for? - Well some of his radio speeches were allegedly done by voice-actors because he was sometimes too drunk!
I heard this many years ago now, there was quite a respectable program on the BBC about it, but never heard much about it again after that. But those were the allegations put forward in this program.
He was also not at all popular for much of the time he was in power, one of the most unpopular PMs ever, many people absolutely loathed him. That has been forgotten by more recent generations who wish to see a glorious past in our history.
Quite, Churchill has come to be a symbol more than anything. Oh yes, while I remember, he also claimed that the Labour party would only be able to carry out its post-war agenda with "some sort of Gestapo". As is said in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels:

Chill Winston...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 11-01-2002, 07:58 AM   #48
Davros
Takhisis Follower

LOL - 2 lefts make a slight

[ 11-01-2002, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: Davros ]
Old 11-01-2002, 08:23 AM   #49
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
We can't help it if we're right all the time Davros... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2002, 08:29 AM   #50
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
We can't help it if we're right all the time Davros... [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Surely thats left all the time. [img]smile.gif[/img]