Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I am wondering why? Did they actually change the meaning or just Translate it to Spanish?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4956834.stm

If it just a translation issue than it is pure bigotry, because some of the English speaking population can't accept that a large portion of there population in some areas are Spanish speaking. If they changed the meaning than they do have some beef.

Although there is a reason to fear because if you have the anthem in multiple languages the next step is bilingual states were all government documents need to be available in two languages, or even states that have Spanish as the official language, and than a Spanish separatist federal party and so on.....

Hmmm....

Can get kind of expensive and complicated, with government officials losing there minds, than next thing you end up calling your dollar the loonie.

[ 05-04-2006, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Unfortunately, I believe it's just a translation and the meaning is the same.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Regarding the flag and the anthem.

If you want Mexico, stay in Mexico. If you come here and want to be an American, please waive our flag, and please learn the frikkin language.

And, if you come here illegally, all you've done is denigrate the place and disrespect 14 generations of immigrants who've done it the legal way.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:45 PM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

no offense timber, but white colonization was never considered legal or illegal 14 generations ago, there was no rule of that then.

but i agree, migrate to a new country then learn the language and culture.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:55 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Regarding the flag and the anthem.

If you want Mexico, stay in Mexico. If you come here and want to be an American, please waive our flag, and please learn the frikkin language.

And, if you come here illegally, all you've done is denigrate the place and disrespect 14 generations of immigrants who've done it the legal way.
My dear TL... I think too many things have been waived, and therein lies the problem...

Okay, I'll crawl back into my hole now...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:01 AM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

People should be free to speak whatever language they want. I pity people who judge folks by the language they speak or in this case sing.

Anyway, America is born of many cultures and many languages. So the whole bruhaha about this is a bunch of pointless, distracting, and irrelevant hot-air. It is a wedge issue within a wedge issue and nothing more.

Besides, If new-comers don't learn english they will be at certain disadvantage. (like fewer TV channels [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) The price of living here and not learning the language is clear enough.

And a final note- the spanish anthem has a history that traces back at least 80 years, so the only thing new here is the griping.

[ 05-05-2006, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 05-08-2006, 01:29 AM   #7
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
People should be free to speak whatever language they want. I pity people who judge folks by the language they speak or in this case sing.

Besides, If new-comers don't learn english they will be at certain disadvantage. (like fewer TV channels [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) The price of living here and not learning the language is clear enough.

i would like to disagree with you on some aspects there. While i agree that people should be free to speak whatever language they want, they should also have the responsibility to learn the language of the country they are residing in (not tourist purpose of course).

One of the biggest problem with the immigrant hispanic immigration is that they believe they will be all right by just moving to the US. Many people have no care if they cant speak the language just because of that belief. While they may be having a hard time living in the US, they have already experienced worse living conditions in thier country of origin.

Another aspect is the standard of education the illegal immigrants have when they reside in the country. In a generalization, uneducated people are the biggest risk takers because they have nothing else to lose. Not being able to speak the language will not deter them.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote