Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2004, 04:28 PM   #1
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

With Lance Armstrong,an American from Texas,winning an unpresidented 6th tour de France.I wonder what ,if any, security they have against a terrorist attack during either the final stage ending in Paris or at the podium for the presentation of the trophy and other awards.I hope I'm just being a little paranoid but that would be plain horrible.Any thoughts?
Old 07-23-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
Djinn Raffo
Ra

I think you're being paranoid.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 05:02 PM   #3
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

I can confirm Djinn's suspicion.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Unless, of course, john is double bluffing us, and is in fact planning something.....

Paranoia - it's the new rationalism.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
Grojlach
Zartan

I'll side with the rest on this one.
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 05:33 PM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

I'm not worried about the Tour. I think any terrorist plans will be focused on the Olympics; isn't that a comforting thought!
Old 07-25-2004, 08:50 PM   #7
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by john:
With Lance Armstrong,an American from Texas,winning an unpresidented 6th tour de France.I wonder what ,if any, security they have against a terrorist attack during either the final stage ending in Paris or at the podium for the presentation of the trophy and other awards.I hope I'm just being a little paranoid but that would be plain horrible.Any thoughts?
Well I won't ridicule john's concern. Any large gathering of people is a possible terrorist target. The presence of Americans will increase the threat.

What I will ridicule however is the use of the words "... if any". Don't you think the French understand the need for security?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:47 AM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Luckily, Lance ended a winner ( [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] ) and no terrorism occurred. The only issue unresolved is the pot-shots at Lance for using drugs to get it done, which, aside from the CANCER RECOVERY drugs, I believe will not be a concern.

CONGRATULATIONS LANCE ARMSTRONG!!!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2004, 03:49 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Lance is a legend...an awesome example of what will to win and hard work can get you.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:04 PM   #10
Aerich
Lord Ao

Those performance-enhancing drug accusations are just sour grapes. He's never failed (or avoided, to my knowledge) a drug test and there's no credible evidence that he's ever taken any, that book aside.

All they have to go on is his Tour dominance. But he's probably the best prepared, best motivated, hardest-training athlete in the race. He trains in France on the course and has assembled one of the finest teams in history around him.

Besides, I'm not sure that drug use fits into his "profile." It was a victory for him just to come back from cancer and compete again at the highest level. I'm also skeptical about how much of an advantage drug use is, given the extended length of the Tour, both in days and in hours competing. Most PEDs are helpful for short-term "burst" activities, and many of them have side effects (dehydration, water retention, etc) that would interfere with endurance activities.