Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2004, 09:55 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I would have normally asked this in the TToEE forum but alas it is no more. Anyway, the game instructions say the game needs a video card compatible for DX9. The thing is that my brother has played the game and his computer is at least 4 years old and I KNOW his video card is nowhere near DX9 compatible. Nevertheless he went ahead and installed DX9 when it asked for it (my brother knows zilch about computers) and he said he had no issues whatsoever! So, what gives? My video card is DX8 but not DX9 compatible. Is it absolutely necessary to be DX9 compliant? I know some of you have played this w/o DX9, so please give me advice on what is important or steps I should take to make it work. Thanks!

[ 01-06-2004, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 09:48 AM   #2
RitingFool
The Magister

I've played this game, and have a video card that isn't "DX9 compatible" - an ATI Radeon 8500LE. I think it means you need DX9 installed, but not necessarily a card that is compatible with it.

I know I had no problems running the game with my non-DX9 card, with no special tweaks or changes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Michael
RitingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Thanks Michael. By the way, how did you find the game? I have heard such serious mixed reviews I am wondering if I should even install it. The bugs are horrendous from what I hear. This game had sooooo much potential because the original Temple of Elemental Evil as a classic Pencil & Paper module was one of the finest ever designed under 1st Edition Rules.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:49 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Atari tech help told me that if your video card DRIVER is not DX9 compatible, the game will almost always not work. The driver version should be 6.14.xxxx (for windows XP), whereas a DX8 driver would be 6.13.xxxx.

X's are variable integers.

[ 01-07-2004, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 01-07-2004, 06:47 PM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Timer Loftis, what would I need to do to find this information on drivers, i.e. what folder or file and how to access? Thanks and much appreciated on the info you gave.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:01 PM   #6
Sythe
Ra

I don't have the game but I'm just so curious. Can anyone tell what the bugs are? And shouldn't there be a patch to correct those issues?
Old 01-07-2004, 09:02 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Albromor, type Dxdiag in the 'Run' tab in the 'Start' menu. When the DX console shows up click the display and check the driver version there.

By compatible I don't think it means the very newest video cards made specifically for DX 9 but rather a card that can function with it - which means alot of people can play this game.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:46 PM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Thanks SW, I'll do that. And Sythe the bugs are so many in number that I wouldn't have time to write them all. I'm serious. In fact there are so many that a second patch is needed but it doesn't look like it will get the support to be created. A shame, too, because from all that I have read the game - when working - is fun. If you want to read the list just go to the Atari website. Also, read the forums; interesting, interesting. The blame is being placed at the feet of Atari who pushed Troika to release this bug infested game before it was ready. And here I was hoping that TToEE would do for Greyhawk what BG1 did for Forgotten Realms. *Sigh*
Old 01-07-2004, 10:51 PM   #9
Gammit
Elminster

Having a Direct-X9 capable card just enables you to see all of the "pretties." Like Timber said, as long as you have a recent video driver that's DX9 capable, you're good.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:01 PM   #10
RitingFool
The Magister

Albromor: While I didn't experience any problems with bugs, I've heard that some are pretty bad, as well as rule inconsistencies. What I played of it was okay, but even simple combats seemingly took forever. They give you so many choices in the radial menu it can be overwhelming if you're not used to it. Also, I've heard the game is quite short.

Just my two cents!

Regards,
Michael
RitingFool is offline   Reply With Quote