Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2002, 09:05 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I am planning a camping trip in July to the NC/Tenn border, where it at the very top of the mountains, but still a easy drive from where I live. In fact, if anything goes wrong, I have friends that live up there in Banner Elk. It is beautiful there, and I am looking forward to this. But, my last camping trip was short-lived and unsuccessful. I have been talking to one or two of you about this by way of Private Messaging, but I decided to open it up for the general body of membership. P.S...we are going with the two year old demon.

I would like the following,

*List of items to acquire ( I have nothing )
*Advice on making the trip successful.

Thanks. Your help is much appreciated.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:15 PM   #2
MagiK

You don't mention how long you are going for Larry.

So I will assume you will tkae enough provisions.

1. Tent.
2. Sleeping bags (preferable the two adult bags can be zipped together for snuggle time when the demon is unconcious)
3. Matts for under the bags to insulate you and cushion.
4. Some form of light, wether electric or fueld lantern
5. Some method of heating food and water.
6. First aide kit (a good one not a cheapo)
7. Emergency flares
8. several methods of fire starting (matches and a bic for example)
9. WATER VERY VERY important. Water for cooking, water for cleaning, water for...umm any use.
10. Extra clothing and clothing for a wide range of weather conditions (mountain weather can change abruptly)
11. Compass or GPS receiver.
12. Knife or Knives. I would say a gun ...but thats not necessary really, unless you are worried about self protection...bears or other wild life you cant kill if attacked.
13. an Axe and/or a folding camp saw.
thats about it.

I didnt know how far into the mountains you were going and how far from civilization it is. this is a quick list.

EDIT: I will add to this entry as things come to mind [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-26-2002, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-26-2002, 09:20 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

That is a great list!

About item number 12...Knife or Knives....Do you prefer the 34" Katana over the 17" ninja ? Or both? They are both standardized, non-reflect ebony blades...of course...
Old 05-26-2002, 09:26 PM   #4
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
That is a great list!

About item number 12...Knife or Knives....Do you prefer the 34" Katana over the 17" ninja ? Or both? They are both standardized, non-reflect ebony blades...of course...
Well in the deep woods, the longer blades may possibly be employed since tall trees will limit the vegetation at ground level. In more open ground however, surrounding vegetation tends to limit your swing radius so you would be better served by taking the shorter stabbing blades. [img]smile.gif[/img] But I was thinking more along the lines of a good sharp sheath knife vs a folding pocket knife or something along the lines of a Bowie or combat/survival type blade

[ 05-26-2002, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-26-2002, 09:26 PM   #5
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

a tent should be first on the list. preferably one of the fiberglass and aluminum framed colapsable ones,but if you are short on cash an old army surplus canvas one will do. When you buy your tent always get it bigger than you think you will need. The average tentmaker makeing a 2 man tent must base his measurements on an oompa loompa. next is a butane camp stove and some fuel.Most camping stoves will foldup to the size of a large wallet for transport. NOTE* NEVER put a burning stove in a tent for heat,light or any other reason!!! Toxic fumes could kill you. You will also need an ax and collapsable camp saw. The saw is for cutting fire wood,the ax is for everything else from hammering to makeing tent stakes. A water purification kit of some kind should be on your list even if you are bringing allong some water. Also bring A LOT more water than you think you will need, at the very least 10 to 15 gallons. Since you are planning to go in July you should also bring BUG SPRAY!! Nothing will make a wee nipper more irritable than bug bites. Also consider bringing allong a yard fogger. That is a can of SUPER bug spray that you can use on your tent,gear and the surrounding area to first kill every bug within 30 feet and then reppell any new arrivals. It sounds a little extreme,but it will greatly increase your comfort. Lastly bring a cell phone for emergencys and a good first aid kit that is stocked with burn cream,neosporin , bandaids, duct tape(works better than stitches),large splints(just incase you break your leg),gauze pads,disinfectant ,and some sterile sailine.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:30 PM   #6
MagiK

Hey! hunter..Duct tape for wound binding...good thought, never thought of that... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-26-2002, 09:32 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hunter, much thanks in the mention of first-aid supplies and the bug repellants. I did not know that a bug foger like you mentioned existed.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:34 PM   #8
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Are you hiking or tailgating?

If you're tailgating, and the weather is nice, just sleep under the stars with a windbreak. I love doing that during the summer time. Get a good down insulated mummy sack sleeping bag and you'll be fine.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 05-26-2002, 09:38 PM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I am hiking, but not far to a campsite...we are wondering if we should stay near civilization since the two year old is coming.
Karen wanted me to ask you...we have a queen size air bed that inflates to be a real comfort. Is this a good camping tool?It comes with a cigarette lighter plug to be able to hook the motor up to blow it up with the electric pump. What would I have to lay down on the grond to prevent puncture? Is it even worth bringing?
Old 05-26-2002, 10:10 PM   #10
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

Karen wanted me to ask you...we have a queen size air bed that inflates to be a real comfort. Is this a good camping tool?It comes with a cigarette lighter plug to be able to hook the motor up to blow it up with the electric pump. What would I have to lay down on the grond to prevent puncture? Is it even worth bringing?
Yes! As long as you don't have to bust a gut pumping it up, and you clearly don't, bring it. Mats are okay, but not really that comfortable, and frankly, roughing it is only so much fun . Just clear the ground so there's no rocks or sticks etc - they're usually made of pretty strong stuff though.