Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2002, 06:53 PM   #21
RedballUK
Elite Waterdeep Guard

RE: Legolas...

I guess its nonconcequential his precious race. I chose Wild Elf as I thought Legolas was a prince within the Mirkwood Elves, (Silvan I think - from MERPS) which I just got the impression (mainly from The Hobbit) were a touch rougher round their edges than their Noldor cousins (i.e. Elrond, Galadriel, Arwen, etc, ....).

A bit of variety I suppose.

You could criticise using the Aasimar race to represent both the Maiar and the Dunedain. The former being demi-gods whilst the later distinctly not you bog standard human (Isn't Aragorn supposed to be about 150 years old or something at the time of the war of the ring???).
RedballUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 07:25 PM   #22
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Wait, wait... what are the Dunedain? And why is aragorn so old, isin't he an human?
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 08:22 PM   #23
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Wait, wait... what are the Dunedain? And why is aragorn so old, isin't he an human?
It be best if you read the Simarillion, but a little of what I understand...There are elves that are part Valar...then some elves got together with humans...etc...then one day the Valar gave two brothers the option to choose Human or Elf. One chose Elf. That is Elrond. The other chose to become a human king. Due to his heritage, he still carried with him some elf longetivity,,,and unknown to many...a little bit of Valar as well! Well, those humans became the Numanorians and could live around 300 years. After a while, they become upset that their ancestor did not choose immortality. They also began to live less than 300 yrs. They had alot happen to them, as well as Sauron sitting there stirring up trouble...in the end...Aragorn was born, but after his father died, his mom brought him to live with his ancestor-uncle...Elrond. So, Aragorn's family line lives these days to about 160 years old. I am told he's somewhere between 60 and 80 when the Lord of the Rings story takes place. There is ALOT more to this story than I could ever explain. I have talked with this guy at work for maybe 20 minutes at a time for more than a dozen times...and he's told me just about all of the behind the scenes stories that are out there to purchase. I will eventually get all of it. I apologize to anybody that knows moer or differently than I explained here...I tried as best I could from memory of a conversation that took place weeks ago.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 08:36 PM   #24
Draten-Master of Fire and Ice
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Luvian, the D'unedain are the Rangers of the north: Aragorn's posse, so to speak. I think the term is synonymous with N'umen'orian, but I'm not sure if it is or no.

I would use a human for Aragorn, because by the end of the third age of M_E, the N'umen'orians were pretty much just humans: their blood being diluted by intermarriage with lesser men and all.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:01 AM   #25
Eg0[)e@th
Dungeon Master

1st level mage can gain a feat for nearly any weapon. I just created a 1st level human mage with the following feats:

Martial Weapon, Great Sword
--------------, Large Sword
--------------, Polearm
Simple Weapon, Crossbow
-------------, mace
-------------, quarterstaff
-------------, small blade

3rd edition allows for a lot more flexibilty.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:34 PM   #26
Tancred
White Dragon

Legolas - he is not one of the Silvan race, but a Grey Elf; Sindar. Middle-Class, if you will... a Moon Elf in all respects.

Aragorn - the Dunedain are the last remnants of Arnor; the nortern Sister Kingdom of Gondor, long destroyed by internecine strife and the machinations of the Witch King.

Tom Bombadil - some guy that Tolkien borrowed from another of his stories to fit into Lord of the Rings because he was running out of ideas. Bombadil has no place in the established pantheon of Middle-Earth. Even Tolkien didn't have any idea where he figured.

As for a Party, you could try the remanants of the Fellowship after the Breaking; not Frodo or Sam, for their task is too important; nor Boromir, for he is dead - Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Merry, Pippin and Gandalf the White. They work as a reasonably balanced team.

Tanc
Old 12-30-2002, 04:43 AM   #27
Lord Corwin
The Magister

I think if I was going to form an LOTR party.... I would make Samwise the healer... as he spends a big part of the books,taking care of Frodo. Seems about as close to a cleric as you could probably get.....
Gandalf would be a Sorcerer (Human/Aasimar)... with maybe a level or two of Druid.
Frodo a thief...(he can turn invisible after all...)
And Aragorn would be human/Aasimar. Since he does have a bit of non human blood....

Tom would make a good Druid also.... as he is very much tied to the forest. Also he is the only person in the books,that the ring has absolutely no power over..... He even puts in on briefly... and doesn`t even turn invisible...

And Legolas of course... gotta have him in the party. Good archer... as well as a good swordsman. For the record he is Sindarin. And he was a woodland Elf. So wood elf would be the right class for him.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:10 PM   #28
Solafein
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Aragorn is about 88-89 during the war of the ring and hes 210 when he dies(dies on his birthday)
i could write much about tolkien stuff but im too tired now and ppl can read it from their books too [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-08-2003, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Solafein ]
Solafein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 03:24 PM   #29
xanderwatts
The Magister

Silmarillin spoilers;

Aragorn really should be an Aasimar, because he shares many of the characteristics of the ancient noble Dunedain/Numenorian kings.
Just a quick Tolien history lesson;
The kings of Numenor (an island kingdom, between Middle Earth and the Undying Lands) used to have a life span far in excess of normal men. This was because they were of partially elven heritage. However, when they always willingly gave up their lives when they first felt the touch of age, and lay down like they were going to sleep instead of letting themselves become 'witless and unmanned' as Tolkien so charmingly put it. However, the last few became proud, and didn't willingly give up their lives for the next generation. Their lives began to shorten until they were barely longer than normal humans, because they betrayed their heritage. The influence of Sauron caused this vengeful pride to culminate in the ultimate blasphemy; an attack upon the undying lands of the Valar. Isildur and his sons fled from island of Numenor and founded the kingdoms of Numenor in Exile, Gondor and Arnor.
Meanwhile, Numenor and the fleets of the king were destroyed by the Valar, and Numenor sank beneath the sea.
After wars with Sauron, Arnor was destroyed, and Gondor reduced, and the line of the kings of Numenor was lost, leaving Gondor to be governed by the Stewards. The only place where the blood of the kings survived were in the tribes of the Dunedain to the north, and it is from these that Aragorn is descended. He was granted a life more like the ancient kings because his actions where true to his heritage, and recaptured some of the glory of the ancient times.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:08 PM   #30
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by xanderwatts:
Just a quick Tolien history lesson;
The kings of Numenor (an island kingdom, between Middle Earth and the Undying Lands) used to have a life span far in excess of normal men. This was because they were of partially elven heritage.
Just a slight nitpick here. The Númenoreans didn't have a longer life because they were of partially Elven heritage, because not all of them were. Even though Elros, son of Eärendil and brother of Elrond, was their first king. Remember that Elros as a Half-Elf chose to be a mortal, unlike his brother. Their long life was simply one of the things granted to them by the Valar. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote