Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2002, 06:59 PM   #11
Nightowl2
Galvatron

I've always preferred bows for my fighters, mainly for speed and ease of use (in earlier rules, a heavy xbow could only fire every other round). Regular bows just seem more right, somehow.

Nightowl2

P.S. And if one can talk the DM round into giving one a strength bow (and having an 18/00 strength, I did talk, heh), arrows can hurt a lot. Pity they didn't allow strength bows here.
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 07:13 PM   #12
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Yeah it does suck - composite bows are supposed to add your Str bonus to them, but in IWD II all they do is give an increase in the bow's range
Old 11-07-2002, 12:12 AM   #13
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Actually, you'd have to get one of the "mighty" composite bows for the strength add. I see by the table in the PHB that such longbows go up to +4 damage, while shortbows get up to only +2. Whereas my 2nd ed fighter has a bow that allows for the full +6 damage.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 03:13 AM   #14
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

First let me post the starting stats my all-Drow totally munchkinik shamelessly min-maxed party.

Fighter 18/20/16/5/16/5
Broadsword - Mace / Throwing hammers

Paladin 16/15/12/5/14/18
Longsword - Longsword / Returning throwing dagger

Barbarian 18/20/16/5/16/5
Greatsword / Throwing Axe

Cleric 15/12/12/5/18/18
Longsword - Shield
(One level of Paladin)

Druid 18/20/14/5/18/5
Flail - Scimitar

Wizard 12/19/16/20/8/5
Short sword - Dagger
(One level of Rogue)

1/ You could pick a Druid as the last party member. Great healer. Great blaster. Great melee character.

2/ The argument of scrolls cost money therefore piking up sorcerors is not a good one. I normal mode I ended up with the best equipment of the game (including the uber-expensive bonus merchant stuff) and still had about 800.000gp. OTOH I do not use bows / crossbows / slings, those missiles are expensive .

3/ Featwise. I am a two-weapon ambidexterity freak. Even the wizard has it. I also picked up Dirty Fighting for everybody (great skill). Every feat that enhances spell saves (Iron will,...). The spell casters have different spell penetration feats and one or more of the Spirit of Flame/ Scion of Storm/... feats. And of course weapon specilization in their favourite weapons.

4/ Skill wise. I avoided / regretted putting points in: Wilderness Lore, Picking locks (bashing them instead), Bluff, picking pockets.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 05:10 AM   #15
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

Scrolls costing money is not the only problem with wizards... even if you have the money, the good spells are hard to find. Also, you can only have a few spells at a time memorised. If you do not need a spell, you don't use it, and you regret memorising it "just in case". With a sorceror, if you do not need a spell at one particular point, don't use it... use what you DO need.
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Callum Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 06:14 AM   #16
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

As to the party, I made a party I called "The Denizens of the Underdark" (any better suggestions would be appreciated). I had a drow ranger (not drizzt btw), a deep gnome rogue, a duergar fighter, a drow cleric, a deep gnome conjurer (i love summons), and a drow sorceror. I played upon the strengths of the races a lot... the extra charisma for drow as the leader and the sorceror, the deep gnome dexterity (the conjurer used bows)and the dwarven constitution. It worked quite well, despite all being ECL classes
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Callum Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 07:35 AM   #17
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Right, 3rd Edition has the "mighty" thing - they had those types of bows in Neverwinter Nights, don't know why they didn't implement that rule in IWD II.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:40 AM   #18
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

"Scrolls costing money is not the only problem with wizards... even if you have the money, the good spells are hard to find. Also, you can only have a few spells at a time memorised. If you do not need a spell, you don't use it, and you regret memorising it "just in case". With a sorceror, if you do not need a spell at one particular point, don't use it... use what you DO need."

I think it's good to have one of each. The problem with the Sorcerer is that they have a very limited selection of spells compared to a Wizard. I don't mind so much the cost of scrolls (money isn't much of an issue in the game), and you actually can find more than you know what to do with if you just have one Wizard (more than that and it would be pretty tough). And it's worse to make mistakes as a Sorcerer - pick the wrong spells to learn and you're stuck with them for the whole game; all a Wizard needs to do is rest and memorize different ones. That being said I like both classes, a Sorcerer with good spell picks is very cool.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:39 PM   #19
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Question Mark

Try going with a basic party. 1 spellcaster. 1 healer. 1 thief. 2 fighters. 1 ranged attacker. That will always be that party I choose.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:19 AM   #20
Seraph
Quintesson

Warhammer,

Why is almost everyone dual-weilding?
With high strength, a two-handed weapon is very powerful.

Also, why does everyone seem to have such high Dex scores?
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote