Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Default Feature request - wall step thru event

Since I couldn't find where on the sourceforge page (they changed it since I last posted any), I thought I'd post a request for feature here.

We have the ability to play sound when someone moves thru a wall (like a door open/close sound effect or bushes shaking when you pass thru), what would be a nice touch is the ability to put an event upon pass thru wall.

I think this as a useful feature, even though we have step events, zone events, item events, rest events, ect ect. Reason: you could do something like the walls of fire that FRUA had with the original release, and if you walked thru one it could run a damage event. Now sure you could place an event, but what if the entire level was done with the fire walls? I mean, you would have to have a very detailed and structured set of events (and triggers like facing and do as attempt to enter) to get every step thru wall to fire off properly. I just envision this being another way to simplify mod design.

ST
ps, I realize this is an expansion and hence it'll be added to the "post v1.0" list, but please consider it.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
Jadefang
Dungeon Master

Default Re: Feature request - wall step thru event

The walk-through-flaming-walls was also present in Dark Queen of Krynn, so it seems to be another feature gone the way of underwater combat.
Jadefang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Paul Stevens
Drow Warrior

see:
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=975.0
Paul Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
Shadow Stranger

In FRUA you could hack underwater combat into a design but all combat would have to be underwater, as the hacks would apply in every combat.
You can have something triggered by arriving on the square that lies on the other side of a wall. But you could arrive on that destination square from as many as four other departure squares. Thus there is no guarantee that you arrived on a destination square by walking through a wall. You really do need a wall event, especially if a type of wall always calls the same event.
Edit:
If DC has a facing direction event, unlike FRUA, that could avoid the problem with four possible squares leading to the departure square. But it is simpler if the wall contains the event rather than having to manually place each event. Recreating the Tower of Flame from DQK would be a minor hassle.

Last edited by Shadow Stranger; 04-23-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
manikus
Jack Burton

DC does have a "facing direction" trigger. Plus you can only enter a particular cell based upon the surrounding cells - a cell in a corridor only has two options, and only if coming in from the 'outside'.

Now mind you that I'm speaking as a fellow designer here and not as the project admin, but I don't see how a wall event is easier...
You still have to define the event in the wall editor. If you want the same event every time (which I presume you do) you can just copy and paste the event in the event editor, which is about as easy as it gets.
I think if we start hiding events around in different spots in the eidor, it makes it more difficult for new users and for the developers.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikus View Post
You still have to define the event in the wall editor. If you want the same event every time (which I presume you do) you can just copy and paste the event in the event editor, which is about as easy as it gets.
I think if we start hiding events around in different spots in the eidor, it makes it more difficult for new users and for the developers.
The defining of the "wall events" does not neccessarily need to be placed in the wall editor.
You could place the defining in the event editor and make check-boxes with which you can mark "event happens when moving through wall 1, 2, 3" and so on (similarly to the way how zones and step events are handled...).

However, although I see ST's and Shadow Stranger's points and would appreciate a "wall event", too, I really would not put effort into this idea until 1.0 is finished.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
manikus
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinonykos View Post
The defining of the "wall events" does not neccessarily need to be placed in the wall editor.
You could place the defining in the event editor and make check-boxes with which you can mark "event happens when moving through wall 1, 2, 3" and so on (similarly to the way how zones and step events are handled...).

However, although I see ST's and Shadow Stranger's points and would appreciate a "wall event", too, I really would not put effort into this idea until 1.0 is finished.
I don't think this makes it easier - it's yet something different for new users to learn how to use and for Paul to figure out how to do.

But like I said, someone should go ahead and add this as a request for when we're finally doing them.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
Shadow Stranger

I submitted a request.
Obviously you would need a central interface for all events whether they are called by walls or the usual way. That way you can keep track of all events affecting a given square.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
manikus
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Stranger View Post
I submitted a request.
Obviously you would need a central interface for all events whether they are called by walls or the usual way. That way you can keep track of all events affecting a given square.
That's a good point, Shadow Stranger. We would probably (at least on the developer's side) need to have an idea about which events take priority in case say wall, zone and regular event chains all happen on the same cell.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

yeah, there is some kind of logic to the ordering of events now, IIRC like this:
(and someone who knows more about this can correct me if I'm wrong)

an event happens if party attempts to enter first
then zone (step event)
then placed events happen

Theoretically, you could have ill-planned event chains that you never even thought of with this. Like a three combat chain back-to-back-to-back. If the "wall event" ever becomes reality, then I figure that it would change the order to this:

wall event
then an event happens if party attempts to enter
then zone (step event)
then placed events happen

but again, I realize that we're rapidly approaching version 1.0 and this is not a requirement or priority so this is again just conversating.

(but it would make a nice addition )

ST