Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2002, 08:42 PM   #1
imgonnatakeurcds
Elite Waterdeep Guard

well its been probably a year since i was on these forums, to be honest i am not sure what my other name was, i think it was Mikeyg123, but just saying hi, and i was about to start another W&w game, but i, was wondering what u guys think is a good choice for another game. last time i was on these forums, we were all anxiously waiting for Wizardry 8 to come out, and now the new sensation, Dungon siege, is out. i wanted to see ur opinions.

thanks
imgonnatakeurcds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 10:03 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome back to the boards!

As far as a new game goes, I know Wyvern tried Wiz 8 but stepped back. Something about the mixture of RPG and sci-fi didn't appeal to her or something like that. Obviously, she'll give her own opinion on the topic [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm in the beginnings of an MM9 game, which I'm enjoying. Contrary to the reviews, sometimes you don't want to be told what to do from the start. I like having the opportunity to explore and see what's going on.

Someone else posted today whose favorite game (or is it girlfriend's game ) is Dungeon Siege. I expect you'll get some feedback from him.

My own advice? Grab your sword, spear, and staff, and commence to defending the homeland. There's more than enough baddies to be taken out...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 12:17 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

WElcome Back!!!

Bungleau was correct - I tried Wiz 8 and then stopped playing 1) because it was time for me to mass produce a zillion christmas ornaments in a few short weeks and 2) I don't like the mix of medieval and sci-fi in my C(omputer)RPGs.

Not having a lot of time for games these days, I really haven't been looking for something new to play. I talked with my friend Scorpia (she used to write for Computer Gaming World) not long ago and she said she was passing on M&M9 unless someone gave her a free copy. She based her decision on comments she read on some other forum about what players were liking and disliking about the game. We both agreed that there seems to be a conscious effort on the part of designers to remove some aspects of game play which players consider fun. In Wiz 8, for example, there is NO advantage to changing character class. You are actually hindered by doing so unless you do it very early in the game. Why? Well, unlike in W&W when you change class you drop back down to level 1 and are treated accordingly, in Wiz 8 you stay the same level you are when you change so it takes forever to get the next level and start adding in any of the new class skills. Whose idea was that??

I did rather like her approach of reading what other players think of the game by reading forums instead of going by reviews.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 08:48 PM   #4
imgonnatakeurcds
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks for the input
imgonnatakeurcds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 12:07 AM   #5
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Why the hell do you need to change class in Wiz 8?? When you have selected class from the beginning of the game then you better go with that class trough the hole game also NO need to change class at all!
And Wizardry 8 is WAY to better than W&W. But W&W is a low budget game and it is greate in that way so W&W is good in it ovn way i think!
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 01:34 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

So far, I'm enjoying MM9. Unlike others, I'm not really turned on by the neatest and newest graphics engine; what I like is a good storyline, challenging puzzles, and some old-fashioned adventuring (the kind where you can easily get your butt kicked if'n you're not ready).

I've already walked into a couple of dungeons and turned around to walk back out. Getting 180 points of damage from a trapped chest told me I was in the wrong part of the department store [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The interface was a little clunky at first, but once I turned down the "head-bob sensitivity", I'm actually kind of liking it. It's fun doing a 360 with just your mouse moving.

Gameplay does seem to be fairly easy, although I'm resting up quite a bit more than I'm used to. I really wish Mana points would regenerate easily...

One side benefit is that training no longer takes a week (or a week per level, depending on previous MM experience). Kind of nice to run to a training ground, train, and get all your HP and MP back.

Anyway, enough digression for now. The Red Wings just won, so I need to get some sleep!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 08:54 AM   #7
KAR_MOD1
Drow Warrior

i've been playing dungeon siege most of the time. i'm thinking of starting W & W again b-cuz it wuz a fun game that is fun to play more than 1 time through. I'm not into MM9 or mmorpg but im thinking of getting MorrowWinds:Elder Scrolls.